BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice from those of you who have sold your LT or other motorcycles in the past and how you handled the buyers request to test ride your bike before he or she considered buying the bike. It concerns me when someone who has no time in the saddle on a large bike like the LT wants to take her for a spin. The issue of liability if the were hit even with much experience and with no fault of their own were involved in an accident on my motorcycle who pays in such a situation? I would not want to but a bike without riding it so I understand the desire to test ride the before dropping hard earned bucks down. I'm not asking for legal advice just insight into how some of you handled selling and test riding by the potential buyer. Thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If he rides up on a big @$$ motorcycle, I would prolly let him ride. It's a judgement call.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You ask a great question, but to counter I'll ask you to consider another:

Would you purchase a used luxury motorcycle without taking it out?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I gave the potential buyer of my LT a ride, meanwhile explaining all of the features of the bike. IIRC, I even gave him a slow-speed demonstration in a parking lot which reassured him that the LT can be maneuvered at slow speeds given some time and practice. He bought the bike. :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,349 Posts
I let a friend of a neighbor test drive my Kaw H2 back in the 70's. I knew as I watched him leave the culdesac what was going to happen, the side stand was still down as he took the right hander. Sure enough 20 minutes later he is walking the bike back with bent handle bars and broken turn signals. He said he wasn't interested in this "crappy" bike. I swore I would never do that again.

It is a judgement call that only you can make. I think I am better at making that call now than I was back then.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If they haven't ridden I wouldn't let them take my bike. I let people ride my bike from time to time but they are experienced riders. If they have only ridden a very small bike then I guess I would say no as well.

1. Most have motorcycle lic.
2. Most have ridden big bikes before, or it is nice if they show up on a bike to look at yours so you can maybe for for a ride with them first.
3. I like the idea of taking them for a ride on the bike.
4. You wreck it you pay for it
5. Listen to what your gut says!!!!!! It is right always!!!! There is always another buyer!!!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Tell them to go to their friendly local BMW motorcycle dealer and take his demo bike for a test ride. Your bike rides the same as the dealer's demo bike.

- Bob

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Like the guy told my son when he was looking at a used bike...sure, one easy payment of 8,000 dollars.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have only sold two big touring bikes (a 95 K1100LT and a 96 R1100RT) and it is a judgement call. I like the idea of them bringing the money and then driving it. The 1st guy to ride the K1100LT bought it. and the 2nd guy to look at the RT bought it. I do have a Yamaha V-Max for sale and I'm not letting NO BODY ride this monster unless he hands me the cash or ,like someone else said, he rolls up on something even nicer. And hopefully offers for me to ride it at the same time. I have a friend that buys and sells sport bikes and he tells me lots of stories. So he sticks to the cash in hand test ride policy. I think we have it a lil better since BMW riders in general seem to be a lil more responsible.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sure! Just leave the keys to that Vette you drove. 8-D

·
Registered
809 Posts
When I bought the LT, I looked at it quite a bit, talked about the features, got the owner to sell it. I waited for him to offer the opportunity to ride it after I discussed my riding experience, BRC, ERC, etc..

When I sold the Sporty, one potential buyer didn't talk much, looked at it, nothing remarkable. When he asked about riding it, I stuck out my hand and said, "You wreck it, you buy it." His reply, "I have another one to look at . . . yada yada." The guy that bought it convinced me through conversation that he had the experience; you can tell a lot when you look in a person's eyes as they speak. He had a nice ride; good trade.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When I bought my 2000LTC It was the largest bike I had ever ridden. The seller never told me about the weight or slow turning surprise awaiting me. :bike:

Rode real nice. Then I decided to make a slow u-turn in a 2-lane road. Well, I found out real quick what a heavy li'l beast it is. I should add that I was wearing my cowboy boots ( It's a Southwest thing !).

I saved the bike from a nap, but I sat crossways in the road for a minute or two trying to get it straight and turned around.

Bought the bike the next day. :deal:

I would definitely be cautious about who rode it if I ever sold this overweight puppy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I let the prospective buyer look the bike over top to bottom. They can take all the time they want and ask all the questions they like. At some point they should know whether they want it or not based on that inspection. If they want it, pay for it. They may then take it for a test ride to insure it is everything I have claimed.
If they are not happy and bring it back unharmed, I return their money.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dont Need a Test Ride

I just bought a 2001 LT without a test ride. BUT I did test ride the 2007 LT at the dealer and I was sold. Its not very common I think to allow someone to test ride your motorcycle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
test ride

Tough call. I sure wouldn't buy one without a test ride OR a having professional mechanic check it out. If the potential buyer appeared to be the real deal, had MC endorsement and proof of insurance on a large bike and I could hold the amout in cash of my deductible until a safe return, I would let him test it.

Most BMW buyers take this stuff more seriously than many other brands.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
"Leave the cash I'm asking for and negotiate final price when you have the smile on ya face from the test ride. If it comes back damaged - it's sold"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts