BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never done anything more than change the oil and filter on my bikes before. But after reading this board a thousand times, I just finished up doing the following maintenance items, all for the first time on my own:

Installed quick disconnects on the fuel lines
Changed fuel filter
Changed air filter
Bled/flushed clutch line
Installed Spiegler brake lines
Installed new brake pads front and rear
Installed new rotors front and rear
Bled all brake line circuits
Installed Speedbleeders on front, rear and ABS unit
Changed plugs
Checked/adjusted valve clearances - pulled intake and exhaust cams
Changed tranny oil
Changed rear drive oil
Rebuilt steering damper

My wife and riding partner had only one request of me: that I take the test ride without her!

I survived it. To my amazement, I didn't even get any ABS error lights. What a relief.

Before I replace all the tupperware in addition to inspecting for leaks, is there anything I should look for or listen for or test? Remember, I've never done any of this work before and if anything could go wrong, it probably already did.

All the credit in the world goes to the participants and pioneers on this board who gave me the courage to leap into the unknown and get these things done. I will tell you that before I started, I didn't own a torque wrench but now have three. Didn't know what a valve bucket was but not have a few extras. Didn't even own a full set of metric wrenches.

The bike has 60,000 miles on it and I'm ready to ride this weekend. Your suggestions on testing all the systems before hitting the open road are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Clean and lube the shift linkage.
Did you change the fuel lines in the tank that have been recently discussed?
And congrats on all the work you did. Rewarding ain't it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clean and lube the shift linkage.
Did you change the fuel lines in the tank that have been recently discussed?
And congrats on all the work you did. Rewarding ain't it?
Rewarding, yes. And yes, I forgot to mention that I cleaned and lubed the shift linkage.

I inspected the fuel lines in the tank and left them alone. Fingers crossed but they looked OK.

Having done all this work, I wonder at every sound I hear. Is it normal? Is it new? Was it there before?

Still got the newbie wrench jitters.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Great job, Richard. Gotta be rewarding. And to think how many extra tanks of gas you can look forward to, by not taking the bike to the dealer!!
A cannisterectomy doesn't take long, if you have some time before you head out on your trip. Quick search will pull the procedure up and it is eazy peazy. Have a safe trip and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Not only will sounds haunt you, but every bump you feel, every vibration, and every errant smell going down the road will eat at your self confidence. Ask me how I know this!!!
I think I spent the first year making mental notes of where all the U-haul rental agencies were along my route. Now, I don't worry about that at all.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
sometimes we just need a "like" button :)

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good job!
I'll bet it rides smooth.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Long and impressive list!;)
One more item, and an easy one at that as it does not require the Tupperware to be off, is to refill the rear shock preload adjuster if you still have the stock shock. The procedure is documented here on the forum.

·
Registered
787 Posts
WOW! you are inspiring me to start doing my own more serious wrenching. I wish you safe riding and as far as the noises don't worry about the small ones because when something starts to go really wrong you'll feel it and definitely hear it. Turn up the tunes and ride!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I guess I should have checked my work list because I did refill the rear prelaod shock adjuster too.

As for inspiring anyone to do the same, I say go for it. Just be prepared for a lot of downtime (i.e., don't get overambitious during riding season) because the first time through, you will make many trips to this forum searching for the simplest answers. And, if you're lucky like I was, you'll break a few things that few have ever broken before, and learn from it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts