BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I got to take a test ride on a dark blue 1600 GTL at Foothills BMW in Denver, Colorado. Nice salesman Ben, followed up on my request and call with a time for the test ride.

The first big difference between my 05 LT-1200 was the much lighter weight, wow! The lighter weight made the bike instantly easy to handle. I liked that all three hard cases can be easily removed for sport ridding which would make it lighter still. The color display is a big improvement and easy to see. It would take some time to get fully used to the functions and the controls but the selector wheel is very intuitive.

Once rolling, it is a BMW, of course. The ride is excellent and the power addicting. The bike is quick and has power throughout the rev range. It seemed to be turning slower than my five speed because of the extra gear. Should be wonderful to cruise for long distances, the way I was ridding the speed caused the distances to get pretty short.

One thing I did not like was the way the narrow faring allowed wind to hit my hands very directly, my LT blocks that wind very effectively. I rode a new Goldwing a few months back and that was one flaw I noticed immediately, for as much faring as the Wing has, it lets wind hit your hands. The goldwing I rode had aftermarket deflectors mounted but they did little good. I am sure the aftermarket will come up with a simple fix for the 1600. Otherwise the wind protection was excellent and the windshield was effective.

The bike I rode had the low seat so it was fine for my 5'-9" size. I want to ride the GT with the slightly taller seat. The 1600 will be much better for guys that aren't tall. The LT even with the low seat can be a handfull for someone with shorter legs because if that beast gets a few degrees off center, it is going down. You don't get that feeling with the 1600. The ligher weight and low seat make you at least feel like a parking lot disaster is not a momentary lapse of attention away. I have owned three LT's and the current one is an 05 which is much better at low speeds than the earlier ones. All three of my LT's have gone down at low, or no speed. They are like picking up a pregnant rhinoceros. I commend BMW for trimming the fat, that alone will cause me to buy on eventually.

The side bags are ok but the top case seems like an afterthought compared the the LT's. Much less space inside, not a good platform for a top rack and in general ugly. I am sure this will change or the aftermarket will offer a better product. The salesman told me the GTL is governed to 125MPH, so it is slower than my LT, such a waste of good horsepower.

To sum up, the 1600 is an engineering masterpiece. The engine is insanely sweet, loved the six speed trans and the handling is superb. Will I buy one? Yes, eventually.

·
Registered
112 Posts
jfarland said:
The salesman told me the GTL is governed to 125MPH, so it is slower than my LT, such a waste of good horsepower.
Governed usually refers to an RPM limit that, combined with the top gear, results in a maximum speed. The GTL is speed-limited rather than governed. No RPM limit except for the red line. I think that the number is quite a bit larger than 125, though. Did I read 136 somewhere?

·
Registered
530 Posts
The side bags are ok but the top case seems like an afterthought compared the the LT's. Much less space inside, not a good platform for a top rack and in general ugly. I am sure this will change or the aftermarket will offer a better product.

I was suprised yesterday when I fitted a top case liner from my LT in the GTL The liner must be layed on its side but there is room left over in the GTL top case. Tight fit in the LT.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
iride4u said:
The side bags are ok but the top case seems like an afterthought compared the the LT's. Much less space inside, not a good platform for a top rack and in general ugly. I am sure this will change or the aftermarket will offer a better product.

I was suprised yesterday when I fitted a top case liner from my LT in the GTL The liner must be layed on its side but there is room left over in the GTL top case. Tight fit in the LT.
It must be optical confusion... I was told by my local dealer that there is more room in the top case of the K1600GTL than the K1200LT. I haven't checked the specs, but your comments confirm it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was going to buy new bags for the GTL but all the LT bags fit with room to spare. I still may buy the side liners so nothing will be loose.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I also took a ride, two-up on the GTL here in Hartford CT. Since Farland and Dano in FL, are the same height as I am, some of our comments seem to match.

Subject: Gengras K1600GTL Demo Ride

Did a 15 mile two up demo ride today at Gengras BMW.

Our purchased new early 2000 LTC with 84K miles is our baseline.

To keep this short I'll just note items that I don't recall reading on other threads.
o Rear brake is much more effective then my non power LT.
o When holding bike firm for pillion to mount, handle bars do not provide as much leverge as LT along with the higher GTL rear seat.
o We both get more buffeting on our shoulders at 50 -70 MPH.
o Pillion does not like the high sitting position.
o Pillion has no place to rest her hands compared to the LT case rails.
o The GTL backrest does not hit her in the right spot!!
o I need a longer left thumb to signal a left turn while clutching to down shift. The selection wheel spaces my hand away from the revised switch
o I'll need to demo the higher rider seat. I'm used to the high setting on the LT and with beads!!
o The mirrors shake at the base of the "V" where the outer assembly rotates, maybe for shipping or covering the bike?
o It's a big bike, the side cases are about 4" wider as well as the top case higher.
o I set the traction control on "RAIN" for this my first ride on the GTL. I felt the braking HP was as good as the LT's if you keep the RPM's up.
o The windscreen movement is slower than the LT.
o Just not ready to brake off the love affair with the LT at this moment.
o If you live out West, and you are in a hurry, Get one!! You'll love it.

Barnett

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be an optical illusion. I will have to take a better look at the inside of the top bag again.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Great comparison pictures! I did not realize how much TALLER the GTL topcase sits! That is gonna make a HUGE difference when loaded. With the pillion also sitting higher, that will likely make switching from side to side in turns 2 up may feel a little harder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts