BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Only thing I can say is for this bike to have a salvage title, it has had to be "totalled" and for the cost of a 2009 LT, it had to undergo extensive damage. Either this is a scam or there is a lot of hidden damage (bent frame"etc).

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Seems to me that to total that bike there should have been around $14,000.00 worth of damage. Missing mirrors, scratched side panels, and a scratched windshield does not add up to 14K. I would be real suprised if the front fairing bracket and rear subframe were not bent. Perhaps even the front main frame could be cracked. It's hard to tell from the pictures provided if everything's in alignment. An "in person" inspection would definitely be in order. However, to really assess the damage the tupperwear would have to come off and I doubt the owner will allow that- but you never know.

FWIW, insurance damage assessments are priced to reflect a return to new condition. If you're willing to live with or defer cosmetic damage it might be worth restoring. (Still, I'd offer much less than $8K- if anything at all depending on the actual damage.)

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
If I was in the market I would hire - that means pay - the local BMW shop to come out and give a professional opinion. If they are unwilling I would see if one on the mechanics could take a look. I would not promise them anything since you might be the on fixing the and repairing the bike. I can tell you it does not take much damage on a bike to total it. Normal insurance rules are if the repair exceeds 70% of NADA values the insurance company can total the bike.

NADA shows the value of a 2009 anywhere from $13,000 to $18,000 thus at $15,500 (average) taking 70% = some one has estimated the repair in excess of $10,850. Tupperware and trim stuff costs a lot of money (ask me how I know) but it does appear that someone has estimated more damage - time for a mechanic or inspection to determine your risk!!

In the end it will always be a gamble - are you ready to play!! :D

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Is there anything like a carfax report that could be obtained for this
bike? Perhaps a quick poll of the local Phoenix dealerships could
identify the bike and what happened to it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good advise..

I'm not really in the market right now. I have a sweet 2000 with under 40K. Just caught it on the local craigslist. Might go take a look just to get out of the house. Good day for a ride here in PHX.

Thanks to all,

Kimble
Phoenix

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hell KJN

Carfax would not / could not run a report on my KLT , something about being a M/C
Here in MO salvage title vehicles are just for driving into the ground as resale is weak and I think State Farm will not full coverage it .

Bob G

·
Registered
353 Posts
For a motorcycle to have s salvage title is different than a car. If the person riding gets hurt bad they sometimes do it just to settle the claim.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have no idea of the condition of the scooter you are looking at, but I drove a 1997 Goldwing for ten years that I bought that had a salvage title, practically had to give it away while others with older bikes were getting 7,000 +. I couldn't complain It was an excellent scooter, only put tires and oil in it. I'd never buy another one though, I tried for 3 years to sell it. Good luck
Ron

·
Registered
191 Posts
When I was in Phoenix a few years ago I bought a tl1000 with a salvage title. Less than 400.00 dollars fixed it to ridable condition. 600.00 dollars bought a fairing setup from Lockhart-Phillips put it better than new. I had a cop come by to inspect the bike and fill out a piece of paper. I then took the paper down to DMV and walked out with license and a few weeks later my clear title came in the mail. There was no SALVAGE on the title what so ever. If you are buying from Bob's go for it. Bob is honest and fair. I would buy the bike, pickup whatever it needs, and put it back to factory or better. Go with your gut. Good Luck you will enjoy your lt.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Salvage also means no warranty

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
Get the serial number and have the DMV and the dealer ru n the number. I would at least go be a Looky Loo.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
AS ALWAYS - If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is! Rarely do you get more for less. It happens from time to time and then we tend to consider the luck, more of a norm that an oddity. It isan't.......

Want to gamble, go ahead, but keep something aside for insurance.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is there a chance it's been in the water? LOTS of salvage cars here in the UK due to floods. Could be totally screwed drivetrain and electrical problems for years to come......

JMHO,

Simon

·
Registered
534 Posts
The ad has a phone # for questions...instead of all the guessing.:confused:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried the phone number. No call back after 3 days. Dropping it.

Good discussion. Thanks.

Kimble

1 - 16 of 16 Posts