BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have and 03 LT with the typical loose rattling rear rotor.

I got my nerve up last week and removed the rear wheel and rotor for inspection of the rotor. The wheel came off easily and then 2 screws holding the rotor and I had it in my hand. It was majorly loose and rattly.

I had a tube of Hi Temp RTV silicone (the red stuff). I sat down with a towel on my lap and "pushed" the RTV into the loose spaces around and into the buttons holding the friction surface to the center hub piece. Just like the old days of re-packing wheel bearings. I was carefull to wipe the excess away.

I remounted the rotor and wheel and torqued down properly. Once re-installed, I applied the rear brake to try to center the "Floating" rotor back to where it might be when the brake is applied. Since the RTV takes about 24 hours to fully cure, I periodically rotated the rear tire about 1/3 of a rotation and then re-applied the rear brake to re-center and friction surface to the "Brake apply" position. The rotation with the brake apply was an attempt to keep the rotor centered around rotation as best as I could. I have no idea how long it will last, but it has stopped the cowbell noise entirely and the brakes do not drag, squeak or perform and differently than before.

The whole process took about an hour.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yea, that will work for awhile, but because RTV is still pretty soft and mushy once cured it will over time get crushed within the tight clearances and again rotor may not rattle, but will become loose.

A product like Sho-Goo / Goop which is a polyurethane product is far stiffer and tougher.

:dance: Good job, you will get many miles before having to do it again I'm sure ....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sho Goo...
I may have some around the house.
I will try it next time.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cold weather is upon us here in Utah, the LT is garaged, and soon I'll be tackling some of the fix-up projects on my new-to-me LT. A rememdy for the "cowbell" brake rattle is high on the list.

So....where does one find "sho-goo"? Is that the correct spelling? Are there any other preferred products besides hi-temp RTV silicone.

Thanks, Looking forward to a quieted rear brake! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Allred said:
Cold weather is upon us here in Utah, the LT is garaged, and soon I'll be tackling some of the fix-up projects on my new-to-me LT. A rememdy for the "cowbell" brake rattle is high on the list.

So....where does one find "sho-goo"? Is that the correct spelling? Are there any other preferred products besides hi-temp RTV silicone.

Thanks, Looking forward to a quieted rear brake! :rolleyes:
It and "Goop" are the same product and should be in your local hardware store along with silicone caulking, contact cement and such.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkxYAP.../EXP=1225952640/**http://www.amazinggoop.com/

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I tried this Shoo Goo fix on my 03LTE. The rattle has stopped but now I have the squeal. I also have new EBS brake shoes. While I'm glad the rattle is gone, the squeal is worse than ever...... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts