BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in California I have the good fortune to be able to ride all year long. Don't even get much rain here in SoCal. Before you accuse me of bragging, we need to have something to justify the high prices and all the crazies!

Are you able to ride in the winter in your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm in Central Nevada. It gets really cold here in the winter due to my location and the 6000' elevation. Luckily, I can just head south, it's just a couple of hours away to Death Valley and 4 1/2 hours to Las Vegas.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I live in eastern/central South Carolina and am able to ride year-round as well. We have a couple of days in late December and January where the temps will drop into the upper teens or low 20s in the morning, so my Gerbings heated pants, gloves, socks and jacket liner do the trick for my daily 75 mile round-trip ride into/from work. Wouldn't have it any other way!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I bought my LT from a friend in Indianapolis last March. Rode 'er home here to Wyoming as my 'introduction' ride. Temps dropped down to 13 degrees at one point. Had a Widder vest and many layers. Worked well.

I guess I'm a bit of a throw back. I've an LT, but don't really spend a lot of time doing distance. She's my daily go to work, visit clients and get stuff done machine. More of a 'pick up truck' on two wheels. Winter's come'n, snow'll be fly'n - see how much gumption I've got to push through.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zotter said:
I bought my LT from a friend in Indianapolis last March. Rode 'er home here to Wyoming as my 'introduction' ride. Temps dropped down to 13 degrees at one point. Had a Widder vest and many layers. Worked well.

I guess I'm a bit of a throw back. I've an LT, but don't really spend a lot of time doing distance. She's my daily go to work, visit clients and get stuff done machine. More of a 'pick up truck' on two wheels. Winter's come'n, snow'll be fly'n - see how much gumption I've got to push through.

I use mine as a commuter too. Wish I had more time for long distance touring, but the kids are young and the wife a bit testy about me taking off without her since I travel for work alot too.

I was curious about you immigration work in Wyoming? We have some issues here and could use good help! And penguin farming could be useful too!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Nah, we have all year long riding also. Sometimes dips into the 50's a la southern CA but the LT take all of the sting out of it! Rainy season more of a PITA!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
PolishS said:
I was curious about you immigration work in Wyoming? We have some issues here and could use good help! And penguin farming could be useful too!
Well, the Immigration work is mostly ensuring folks wanting to move out here and settle know the realities of life on the high plains/Rocky Mnts. We are just a bit particular 'bout who we allow in ya know <g>. Long hard winters, brown summers, lack of services, etc, etc. (really, just a gesture of frustration at the population influx that's destroyed much of the charm that broght so many from either coast out here in the first place).

Penguin Farming? Heres one of many good places to start. Penguin Farming

What's CRC? And is it best to use fibergalss or galvinized screens?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I thought I would ride long into the winter last year, but...
I was on my way to work one frosty morning last November. I had negotiated three 90 degree turns and one stop sign, and then approached a stop sign on a slight down slope. I applied the brakes and nothing happened! Initially I thought "Oh crap the brakes failed", but quickly realized I was experiencing the joy of anti-lock brakes on a frosty road. I came to a stop in the middle of the intersection, luckily there was no cross traffic. That was the last morning I rode to work til March.
Be safe out there.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
PolishS said:
Right coast, near DC -- year 'round unless there's ice on the ground, which is the case only a few days a year.

·
Registered
666 Posts
PolishS said:
In Oklahoma, we only get a few days that you can't ride.

Usually 2-7 days of either snow or ice.

Temperature keeps the fair weather guys inside, not road conditions.

I usually commute all year, except for ice/snow.
Long trips, I want it 35F or above. I don't like getting away from home, and possibly getting stranded due to snow/ice.

If your search the old board for "Broken Bow", you'll see I actually rode in some ice !! I don't recomend it !!

·
Registered
76 Posts
In Arizona

In Arizona many riders are just now getting their bikes out of the garage. The one hundred degree plus temperatures just broke last week. There will be good riding weather until June, no rain, sunny everyday, and daytime highs at least 65.

Come down and visit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zotter said:
What's CRC? And is it best to use fibergalss or galvinized screens?
Good question. CRC is colorectal cancer. I happen to manage a business that makes a screening test for it. Anyone here over 50 years of age should be screened every year. It is a preventable cancer, yet the number 2 cancer killer in the US.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Never seen snow. What's it like?
I don't even ride in the rain much.
330+ dry days per year

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
PolishS said:
Living in California I have the good fortune to be able to ride all year long. Don't even get much rain here in SoCal. Before you accuse me of bragging, we need to have something to justify the high prices and all the crazies!

I've ridden as cold as 19 degrees outside. As long as their isn't snow or ice on the road, I'm on the bike. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I ride year round, unless there is snow pack on the roads or wet due to salting. There's times when I have to ride 400 feet over my snow packed side street to get to the bare main street, but that's not a problem. Gerbing's jacket liner, socks and gloves make things very toasty. Dick

·
Registered
279 Posts
Year-round riding

Winters in northern Idaho have been very mild the last few years. If the streets are free of snow and ice, and temperatures above freezing, it's riding weather! I have been able to ride at least one day every month with just my normal cold weather riding gear (Cortech jacket, insulated pants, insulated boots and winter gloves.) I keep threatening to buy some Gerbings heated liners, but with the LT's heated seats and grips, I haven't found the need yet. Of course, I don't depend on the motorcycle for daily transportation, but it's fun to get out in the bright sunshine when you can get it up here. :D

·
Registered
408 Posts
When it gets cold down here in San Diego we usually have to bundle up in a long sleeve shirt until it warms up. I don't know why the bike has heated seats and grips.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm in Minneapolis. I got my LT July '04 and since we didn't have much snow last winter, I've managed to ride at least one day every month except January.

I use the LT for my daily commute (short - only 10 miles) almost all the time as long as there is not snow or ice. or if it's raining too hard (it's not the staying dry, but rather, I don't trust the cage drivers in the hard rain).

I'd have ridden more while there was snow, but I have an alley leading to my garage that gets very rutted (like 6 inches deep), and I don't trust myself to get the bike out of the ruts and into the driveway. Coldest I've ridden in is the teens (Helmet, Ski jacket and gloves, blue jeans).

Harv

1 - 20 of 25 Posts