BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I noticed that I had a leak some where. The rear of my front fender had a few drips of oil on it. I followed the leak and what I see is the bottom of the telelever shock has oil on it. Is it possible that this is leaking?
Can I still ride the bike until get to the dealer?
Thanks,
Ellie

·
Registered
737 Posts
Very likely, it's leaking.

No problems riding it. It's going to take an awful lot oil loss for you to feel it or it have much impact on rebound. Most of the work is being done by the spring, the oil in the shock mostly deals with controlling how fast the spring is dampened or rebounds. Perfectly safe at this point. Once the oil's almost all gone - safety comes into play.

Do I recall correctly your bike is still under warranty? If so, dealer will take care of it with no problems.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
steveaikens said:
Very likely, it's leaking.

No problems riding it. It's going to take an awful lot oil loss for you to feel it or it have much impact on rebound. Most of the work is being done by the spring, the oil in the shock mostly deals with controlling how fast the spring is dampened or rebounds. Perfectly safe at this point. Once the oil's almost all gone - safety comes into play.

Do I recall correctly your bike is still under warranty? If so, dealer will take care of it with no problems.
Thanks Steve.
It is still under warrantee. I will get them to look at it next service.
Ellie

·
Registered
737 Posts
OU812 said:
Shocks can be very expensive. :rolleyes:
You folks in IL always try to minimize..... And this time, yer - wrong.

Shocks ARE VERY expensive.....

·
Registered
726 Posts
Time to trade the old gal in ? I am thinking they have a buyer for yours :rolleyes:
Just saying....

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New2rt said:
Well, the dealer did say it's time to trade the old gal in :rolleyes:

Maybe they're helping things along. :D
Wouldn't that be lovely.
I hope they are not that hard up for money. In this world, you find all kinds...

It didn't stop me from getting out riding this weekend. We had amazing weather.
I can't wait to ride to SD. 4 more weeks...woo hoo!

Ellie

·
Registered
729 Posts
missusfinz said:
Wouldn't that be lovely.
I hope they are not that hard up for money. In this world, you find all kinds...

It didn't stop me from getting out riding this weekend. We had amazing weather.
I can't wait to ride to SD. 4 more weeks...woo hoo!

Ellie
I'm sure your original servicing dealer will check it properly and correct what's needed.

Enjoy your trip to SD and be safe.

Guess the snow finally melted :wave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts