BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With everyone talking about steering head shakes, fork seal leaks, tires, balancing, etc., I was just curious how long should the ball joint on the telelever arm last?

How much of a PITA is it to replace if necessary. Last, is the boot replaceable if its damaged?

Dave Allen
Birmingham, AL
2005 K1200LT, Dark Graphite
2005 330 CIC, Titanium Silver

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Crestwood330 said:
With everyone talking about steering head shakes, fork seal leaks, tires, balancing, etc., I was just curious how long should the ball joint on the telelever arm last?

How much of a PITA is it to replace if necessary. Last, is the boot replaceable if its damaged?
There's no history of these ball joints needing replacement, except from accident damage.

The ball joint is press-fit into the fork bridge, using a special tool (a large cup that is tall enough to accommodate the stem of the joint). I needed to replace one after a recent accident, and found it easier and cost-effective to simply buy a new fork bridge with a pre-installed ball joint.

AFAIK, the boot is not replaceable as a separate part -- it's not shown on the fishe as a separate item.

·
Banned
588 Posts
I replaced mine at 87,400 miles about a year ago on my 2000 K1200LT when I noticed the rubber boot was torn. It did seem pretty worn when I rotated it compared to a new one, but did not notice any before/after differences. I briefly looked for a replacement boot, but didn't find one. I think I took the assembly to my Honda shop to get them to remove the old ball joint from the assembly. I think they had to heat it up to remove it. I think they charged 1/2 hour for labor. I replaced the front shock with an OEM one at the same time, so I would guess it should be checked anytime you remove the front shock. Like most things on the K, it was a PITA, but if you change your own shocks, tires, air and fuel filters etc., you can do it if you have the manual.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I believe that the manual calls for it to be inspected at 60,000. I don't believe that it specifies anything on replacement. If the rubber boot goes bad then the ball joint could go bad with water and dirt getting into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts