BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to remove Telelever arm and got the big bolt out and shock off.But how do i get that spacer out ? Looks like it has threads for a puller ? But i dont want to screw something up either so i figured i'd ask 1st.Thanks in advance

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
You need to heat the frame around the bearings to 100 C and use a puller to get them out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for quick reply....Would a good heat gun do the trick ? And how long to apply heat for ? What type of puller would you suggest.So if i thread a puller into those threads that whole thing should come out ? How about reinstalling how should that be done.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
You need to get a hold of the manual as this is a very complex process to pull the bearing on one side then get the shaft out of the other side. Use a non contact thermometer to determine when the frame mounts are at 100 C (212 F). Here are a few pics from the manual to show the pullers. Just curious as to why you are pulling it?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it could be pulled from just the one side.The other side has injectors etc. in the way ? I have a bent arm so i have to change it out.Not very fun so far :( If anyone one has steps to remove it would be great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the sucker out after making a homemade puller.The thing was in there good.I tried calling 2 BMW dealerships and they were both NOOOOOOO help.One didnt even know what i was talking about.And other only did one and was a master tech and said they just total bikes that get bent.Its a MAJOR PITA but common total it ? I sure hope it goes in easier.I plan on freezing shaft and heating frame for some wiggle room hopefully and LOTS of lube :) Thanks for the help in right direction.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
Temperature deltas go a long way on these BMWs. The rear drive pinion will not budge until you get the housing right up to 248F and it falls right out. The key will be heating the frame to 212F and feezing the shaft with bearings and I'll bet it will go right in. Get a cheap non-contact thermometer from Harbour Freight and take the guess work out of the heating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.