BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had a bracket, shock,or anything else break on the telelevar suspension on a k1200. Luckily,after driving several miles to work, I was putting her up on the center stand and something snapped , in the telelevar I believe, and the front end dropped, The front tupperware is resting on the front fender, and it`s virtually impossible to stear.I called and had it towed to the shop, And as I am the kind of individual that doesn`t like getting taken by mechanics, I would like to have some kind of idea what the problem could be. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Maybe the top nut came off, keep us updated. Not too common, but have heard of it occurring.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my next questions are these,
1. If the top bolt came loose, is it a quick fix ? Simply retighten ?
2. If the ball joint came seperated from the fork bridge, does the ball joint need to be replaced ?

·
Registered
494 Posts
tenrocky said:
So my next questions are these,
1. If the top bolt came loose, is it a quick fix ? Simply retighten ?
2. If the ball joint came seperated from the fork bridge, does the ball joint need to be replaced ?
#1) Good question, I would say if its just the nut coming off and the threads are still good and will accept another nut easy fix.

#2) Don't have an answer for that one, hopefully its just the nut came off.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I doubt that it's the top nut on the shock. With the bottom of the shock attached, something has to break to get the shock out or the bottom bolt removed. (it might be broke or came loose and worked out).
Spring might be broke too. That would let the shock go to it's shortest position and might rest on the tire.
Gonna be a lot of labor time to remove tupperware/fuel tank/front wheel, etc to even see what your trouble is for sure.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

Just my .02 cents. :bmw:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm trying to picture what you're describing.....I just replaced both shocks on my LT. The front end geometry is pretty simple........just fussy to work on because of access. I doubt any of the main nuts came off, either from the shock, or the telelever......possible....but seems unlikely.

Sure sounds like something broke. The shock, the telelever itself, or at the apex ball joint on the fork bridge.

If the bike was elevated so the forks extend as far as possible, it should be easy to look around with a flashlight and inspection mirror and see what happened. One possible down side is, if the shock needs to be replaced, the tank has to come off to give access to the top nut.

Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So as it stands right now, I believe that you guys have sent me in the right direction as far as the probable diagnosis. I can`t see paying a dealer to strip the tupperware and put me in a position to were they have my bike in so many peices that I`m at their mercy. I have a degree in mechanical engineering, the k1200lt repair manual for my machine, and this forum. If I do nothing else other than save myself the labor of stripping the covers and finding out exactly what is wrong with her, I`ll be ahead of the game that much farther. Knowledge is powerful. I do have one last question, I found online a place called MAX BMW Motorcycles for parts. The site seems pretty thorough as far as inventory and price, any suggestions ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used MAX BMW many times and have been very happy with their service.
Plus the m&ms are good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts