BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and got my bike from the shop and brought it home, pulled out a flashlight and started looking around under the hood noticing that the lower ball joint on the lower fork bridge didn`t look right. Checked out some schematics and realized exactly what is wrong. The threaded portion of the lower ball joint sheared off in some freak occurance, and nothing is holding the front of the trailing arm in position. $ 123.35 for parts, an investment of my own time, and all will be good again. Thanks for eveyones help in figuring this thing out.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Glad you found out was exactly was wrong. I myself wonder whey the part broke. Also its a good thing it let loose when it did, it could have been real ugly if you were riding 65 mph. and the front end collapsed on the the front wheel.....

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I believe I would take the new parts to a dealer and have their service department install the new ball joint on the fork bridge. It's a 230Nm torque and should be in a very strong vise. I had looked at taking mine apart (MY 99 R1100RT) to clean up some corrosion. Saw the torque required and asked the "local" service tech about it. They don't even like doing it but have a special jig to hold the bridge as they torque it. The ball to telever joint is 130Nm IIRC. That's a bunch of torque by itself.

Of course I'd strip everything off myself and just take the bridge and new ball up to the service department. HTH.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bill,

Glad you found the problem. Hope the repairs go without much fuss. If there was an impact with a curb, pot hole, etc hard enough to snap that stud, I'd sure have a good look for other damage, like bent fork tubes, etc. Hopefully there won't be any.

Again, good luck!
JD

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would wonder about notifying NTSB about the failure. Like Chipper said if it failed while doing 65 on the freeway could be a disaster with fatal results..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matt said:
I believe I would take the new parts to a dealer and have their service department install the new ball joint on the fork bridge. It's a 230Nm torque and should be in a very strong vise. I had looked at taking mine apart (MY 99 R1100RT) to clean up some corrosion. Saw the torque required and asked the "local" service tech about it. They don't even like doing it but have a special jig to hold the bridge as they torque it. The ball to telever joint is 130Nm IIRC. That's a bunch of torque by itself.

Of course I'd strip everything off myself and just take the bridge and new ball up to the service department. HTH.
Great idea, and I just got off the phone with the shop, they said that they can do it in about an hour. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roamrider said:
Bill,

Glad you found the problem. Hope the repairs go without much fuss. If there was an impact with a curb, pot hole, etc hard enough to snap that stud, I'd sure have a good look for other damage, like bent fork tubes, etc. Hopefully there won't be any.

Again, good luck!
JD
The problem is that I don`t recall anything like that at all ! I`m very careful with my machine simply because I am a very cautious rider, and my wife and I go two up quite a bit and I take that kind of responsibility very seriously.Who knows what happenned. Maybe it should be reported !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts