BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy our overseas friends.

I'm looking for something for my son. He is looking for material to create a "full kilt"...

I litterally laughed outloud at the costs they are asking for some of these blends/weaves.

Is this for real or is this just "gouging" of the "internet tourists"?

Please PM with your input... or post here...

"Thanks" in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Uhhh.... what kind of prices are they quoting? A full dress kilt is not cheap, I rented one for a wedding once and it was almost $300. I asked what it would cost to buy the whole things (full dress kilt, dress jacket and shirt, sporan,etc.) and the guy told me they can get as high as $3500. This was over 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Where do you think the phrase

the full 9 yards came from. Good kilts are not cheap but there is a lot of material and labour involved. My wifes friend used to make kilts so if you have any questions let me know and I am sure I can do something about material if you let me know what you want. Wonder if my kilt still fits me?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
grahamw said:
the full 9 yards came from. Wonder if my kilt still fits me?
Don't wrap so much of it round yourself, unless you now have a 27 foot waist you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I was in Scotland several years ago and wanted to buy one - 'til I saw the price. Geez, by the time you get the kilt, the bag, the socks, it really adds up. The real things are really nice.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Originally, Kilts were used as both clothing and bedding, that is where the design comes from.
If you want a Great Kilt, you can with very little money really, get a length of tartan and then with a belt and a pin clasp wear it in what is the most traditional way. It's probably not as nice for a wedding or funeral as the tailored ones you have to buy, but historically is accurate.

Try these websites for some options:
http://www.phouka.com/kilts/kilt_wrap.html

http://www.sportkilt.com/

HTH

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
grahamw[b said:
][/b]Where do you think the phrase the full 9 yards came from.
I always thought it was from ammo belts on machine guns, but evidently, it's something to do with the size of concrete mixers - it's on the internet, so it must be true ( :histerica ).

http://www.yaelf.com/nineyards.shtml

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I rented one about 4 years ago to get married in Edinburgh, Scotland. Rented it here and took it with us. Your son might want to check with some of these rental agencies to see what they would charge to sell a used kilt. Could be pretty reasonable.

Keith

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have two kilts - one came brand new from a theatrical rental agency for the princely sum of £25 (that's about $55 today) and the other was used from a rental shop in Glasgow - £35. The sporran cost more! Check online, and that auction site...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts