BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attention Electro-Wizards,

I'm thinking of adding auxilliary brake lights to augment visibility when the bike is in "flat bed" mode. Having the EVO system I know that I would have to tap the correct source (if any). Location where and color wire would be highly appreciated too.

TIA

Ramon

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
DaFlake said:
Attention Electro-Wizards,

I'm thinking of adding auxilliary brake lights to augment visibility when the bike is in "flat bed" mode. Having the EVO system I know that I would have to tap the correct source (if any). Location where and color wire would be highly appreciated too.

TIA

Ramon
Hey Ramon - take a look at this site, plus some of the other interesting items they produce. Toad has had the *wig-wag, blink-blink, steady' setup for the past six years and we like it. However, utilize Kriss's customer service and ping 'em to make sure they have handled the compatibility of their Panther unit to the Evo-brake system of the BMW. Don't just go by their chart info.

Can't tell ya how many folks have commented on being aware of Toad's braking exercise, once they've seen it. HTH a leetle.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Huh?

Could you be a little more specific as to what you're trying to accomplish. I don't know what you mean by "flat bed mode". I added red lamps behind my turn signal lenses, and that really helped with visibility as it practically doubled the width of my brake light. I'm thinking of adding the Kisan brake light flasher to the 3rd brake light this winter, as well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Flat Bed" mode : When I occasionally replace the top case with the Ft. Worth rack I'd like to install a set of LEDs between the Rack & the base it mounts to. So I was thinking of tapping these to a brake light power source (if possible) which will not trigger the ABS warning system of the EVO. Hope this explains it....

Thanks,

Ramon

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
"Flat Bed" mode!!! Got it!

IIRC, the only bulb or lead that you don't want to mess with is the middle brake light bulb. (There are three 1157s in the OEM brake light.) I simply tapped off the right brake light socket to add another red bulb (194 type) under the right turn signal lens, and I tapped off the left brake light socket to add another red bulb (194 type) under the left turn signal lens. Those 194s that I used are 5 watt bulbs. The fact that you want to use LEDs should matter even less as long as you stay away from that center bulb.

HTH

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>>I simply tapped off the right brake light socket to add another red bulb (194 type) under the right turn signal lens, and I tapped off the left brake light socket to add another red bulb (194 type) under the left turn signal lens.<<

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts