BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa brought me a quad led LP frame. Has dual brightness for running light and brake/signal modes. Wiring is straight-forward and basic instructions are provided. The actual wiring is not a problem. Plenty of solder and heat shrink.

And now for the dumb LT newbie question -- Where is the best place on my 2000 LT to tap into running light, left turn, right turn, and brake light circuits? My bike has the Hyper-Lites installed by previous owner, but wires disappear up into brake light housing.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The easiest place to "tap" in would be directly behind the tail light itself,
two 10mm bolts, one inside of each saddlebag and the light assembly pulls out straight back.
with hyperlites you probably need to tap into the wiring "before" that unit,
depending upon where that's wired in, the next most convenient place would be to cut into the harness under the passenger seat (right side) along the frame tube,
I can get you the BMW wiring color code for it, if you need it

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Santa brought me a quad led LP frame. Has dual brightness for running light and brake/signal modes. Wiring is straight-forward and basic instructions are provided. The actual wiring is not a problem. Plenty of solder and heat shrink.

And now for the dumb LT newbie question -- Where is the best place on my 2000 LT to tap into running light, left turn, right turn, and brake light circuits? My bike has the Hyper-Lites installed by previous owner, but wires disappear up into brake light housing.

Any ideas?
Tony - check out the middle thread listed among the five below your post (Similar posts). Hopefully, the answer is there somewhere. BTW - what does that thang do for a turn signal. I notice the side vertical strips are light amber, while the top/bottom horizontal strips are red. I guess I'd have to see it in operation to see if there is a benefit in addition to the LT's turn signal lamps. Good luck. And BTW #2, if the answer isn't in that thread below, it for sure would be in the HoW somewhere if you do a search.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The HyperLites are already there, so perhaps I can just tap in at the same location and go from there.

Once I'm the the rear light assembly area, I should be good to go. Thank you for the tip about the 10mm bolts. That should be the key to getting started.

SilverBuffalo said:
two 10mm bolts, one inside of each saddlebag and the light assembly pulls out straight back.
depending upon where that's wired in, the next most convenient place would be to cut into the harness under the passenger seat (right side) along the frame tube,

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dick, all four LED banks offer high and low intensity, and each has three wires: ground, low illum, high illum. I imagine I'll set it up as follows:

Red (top & bottom): Low for running lights, high for brake lights.
Amber (left): Low - unused, high - left turn signal
Amber (right): Low - unused, high - right turn signal

Extra visibility is the goal. Will also have the deceleration flash pattern on the top & bottom red LED (plus the trunk rack brake LED) when brake is activated.

Dick said:
BTW - what does that thang do for a turn signal. I notice the side vertical strips are light amber, while the top/bottom horizontal strips are red. I guess I'd have to see it in operation to see if there is a benefit in addition to the LT's turn signal lamps. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Extra visibility is the goal. Will also have the deceleration flash pattern on the top & bottom red LED (plus the trunk rack brake LED) when brake is activated.
I'm not familiar with Hyperlites but I had a similar product on my 02
(Priority Plus) low power to turn signals, then flashing at brake.
the manufacturer cautioned me not to "add" extra lights
(I wanted to wire my trailer lights through it)
not quite the same as what you're intending,
but maybe a call to the manufacturer might be prudent.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Do you have the hyper lights with turn signal ?

deputy5211 said:
Dick, all four LED banks offer high and low intensity, and each has three wires: ground, low illum, high illum. I imagine I'll set it up as follows:

Red (top & bottom): Low for running lights, high for brake lights.
Amber (left): Low - unused, high - left turn signal
Amber (right): Low - unused, high - right turn signal

Tony:
Here is the way I hooked up my hyper lights (16 led with turn signal) and the way I wired up the connections hope this helps. :bmw:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SilverBuffalo said:
Hans,
I know this thread is a few months old, but now I need to tap into the brake, tail, and turn wires under the rear seat. If you see this post and still have the BMW wiring color codes handy, I sure would appreciate it.
Thank you.
Tony

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Tony
Attached is a printout I keep on the bike in case I ever have a problem,
if you're going to "cut in" to the wiring harness the best place I've found is under the right side of the passenger seat, just strip back the insulation and you'll find all of the wires you need there, also I higly recommend soldering your connections for reliabilty rather than the crimp on connectors.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perfect! Thank you, Hans, just what the doctor ordered.

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts