BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our BMW dealer is closed for the next 2 days; been doing the 12k service and going to replace a valve tappet (2.85) with a 2.80. Anyone know what the $$ are for the new tappet??

Thanks,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pretty cheap

I think that our dealer here in Portland charged me $14 and offered me 1/2 in exchange for the "bucket" that I had taken out.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that gives me a ballpark. I'll take the old one with me and see what happens.

BTW is that Portland Me or Or??

·
Registered
684 Posts
ksailor said:
Our BMW dealer is closed for the next 2 days; been doing the 12k service and going to replace a valve tappet (2.85) with a 2.80. Anyone know what the $$ are for the new tappet??

Thanks,
I think the last ones I bought were around 22 bucks. No trade in.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
ksailor said:
Thanks, that gives me a ballpark. I'll take the old one with me and see what happens.

BTW is that Portland Me or Or??
Has to be OR, the one and only dealer in Maine is in Falmouth (Street Cycles).

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Chuck,

If you go to the RealOEM.com parts list, then look up your bike (or enter your VIN), then go to Engine, then Valve Train, you'll see a listing for all the parts. The part number for a 2.80mm Cam Follower is 11327666048, and the estimated price is $15.62.

You can also look things up using the parts fiche at Max BMW which shows the same part number at $14.00, or at A&S BMW which gives part numbers but no prices.

For prices on any BMW parts by part number, check Chicago BMW who shows the Cam Follower at $14.00 retail, and $11.20 with their 20% discount.

I just bookmark these links, and I can find part numbers and prices in minutes.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info

Ken,
Thanks for the info. Just cleaned the grease/oil off my hands to fire up the laptop and surf around. Should have thought of that but; still musing over all of the parts on the garage floor. I'll save the links for future use.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Actually, BMW calls them Cam Followers. Most mechanics I know just say bucket.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Grif... bucket it is.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
mjac said:
I think the last ones I bought were around 22 bucks. No trade in.
They were around $22 in '00, but sometime after that BMW lowered the retail price to around $14. I paid something over $12 at my dealer with the club discount.

One of the dealers here in San Diego wouls swap them at no cost if they had take outs the correct size in their shop box.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I asked my local dealer two weeks ago and the service manager told me that they were about $15 a piece.

Lewis

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
CarSalesman said:
Is that "Mrs Bucket" or "Mrs Bouquet"?
Depends on whether your bike is on the Continent or not, I suppose. :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
dshealey said:
One of the dealers here in San Diego wouls swap them at no cost if they had take outs the correct size in their shop box.
I am thinking more and more about moving in your house Dave...!:D
Don't worry! You'll love my kids!!! :p

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Just bought 15 of them at 12.60 each from Atlanta BMW.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Take your bucket with you and see if your parts manager will exchange the one you have with the one you need for free. They do at Grand Rapids, MI. The buckets don't wear much at all and sooner or later they'll need the size you exchanged. Normally, the service department will have a collection of buckets laying around. Worth a try.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts