BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used bmw tank bag and it seems pretty convinient it just clips in to the rack on gas tank

but it is removed with just one click so anyone that wants to steal it, it would be very easy
Am I missing a part that would make it less easy to steal?

thanks

only 8 more weeks till riding :dance:

·
Registered
545 Posts
twincruise said:
I just bought a used bmw tank bag and it seems pretty convinient it just clips in to the rack on gas tank

but it is removed with just one click so anyone that wants to steal it, it would be very easy
Am I missing a part that would make it less easy to steal?

thanks

only 8 more weeks till riding :dance:

Perhaps. See the thread below re: do you pack when you ride.... :histerica

Ok. I thought it was funny, anyhow....

Best, John

·
Registered
560 Posts
You really aren't missing any parts. The tank bag is what it is; nothing more and nothing less. I must admit, for the most part, that I have an almost irrational sense of trust. That is, I wish to believe that we are an honest bunch of people and would never steal something that isn't ours. Yes, there are times when I've removed it and placed it in the top case, Usually in an urban setting. I did think about securing the bag with a thin cable and padlock and thought, "What's the point? Most people want what's IN the bag and there's really no way to lock that shut."

As an anecdote, my wife and I spent five weeks touring out west to the National Parks: Yellowstone, Rainier, Olympics, Cascades, Dinosaur, et al. I never locked the tank bag away when we went for day hikes in the parks and we never found anything amiss when we returned to the bike.

I believe my point is this - If someone steals a tank bag from a BMW, they're probably riding a BMW. If they can afford the bike then why are they stealing a tank bag. As an afterthought, consider that most thieves want what's in the bag. Since you've left the bike unattended, in all likelihood you've taken the "goodies" with you. I doubt that they are going to take the time going through your bag. Yes, they can remove the bag and make a run for it, but that's probably the least of my worries when I tour.

Like the man said, You pays yo' money and you takes yo chances!"

·
Registered
444 Posts
I bought my bike used and the PO had the bought tank bag. He had a small retractable wire combination lock. You can thread the wire through the handle of the bag and the bike rack. I do not use it, but the bike came from Detroit which might explain it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I like John's sense of humor! But, all seriousness aside...

Regardless of how simple a tank bag may be to remove from a bike...(some, like the BMW are real easy, others, not so much)... someone could always easily unzip and dash off with contents.

Having said this, there are probably very few of us who have actually had something stolen from our tank bags (short of leaving it on the bike outside in a parking lot 24/7).. and I think this is a testimony to the fact that there is still a mystique that surrounds the motorcycle rider and there are not too many folks out there that would want to incur the wrath of a biker that has just had his stuff jacked with.

It's nice to know there is still some measure of decency out in the world.. even if it is motivated by fear!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I quit taking mine off every time I went in for lunch about three months after I owned it. I don't leave anything too valuable in it, but have never had any trouble. Over night, etc., I just grab it with the rest of the gear. Camping, I just throw it in the tent, where's it's safe. ;)

·
Registered
726 Posts
I put my tank bag in my back case and helmets in the panniers, problem solved :dance:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
I like John's sense of humor! But, all seriousness aside...
Is it sense of humor? I've never had anything stolen at a stop, but I'm also not shy about the .45 I carry as a social pistol. People who steal stuff from vehicles usually watch things for a while before taking the chance. The ones who see me roll up know better than to take the chance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I used to worry about my stuff when I stopped to eat or use the restroom but learned to let go and have never had a problem. I cover my tankbag and helmet with my jacket and park where the bike can be seen or is in a very public place. Or course if I have room I put stuff in the panniers or trunk. But after all, you have insurance for piece of mind so why not have piece of mind.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I usually have everything locked up. One time I was at a Starbucks and had my helmet strapped to the rear rack with the gloves stuffed inside. I saw a homeless guy go by, and my gloves were gone when I went out. :mad: I take my bag with me now, if I am using it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Trojan said:
Perhaps. See the thread below re: do you pack when you ride.... :histerica

Ok. I thought it was funny, anyhow....

Best, John
Me, too. I also pack when I ride...a sandwich and chocolate bar!

brselman

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like to keep all my stuff: wallet, keys(house), wifes sun glasses ect. I just take it with me if I am going in a restaurant! When I go to work and leave the bike out all day. I always cover the bike. Even on sunny days. I leave the tank bag on, put the cover over it and cable lock the cover! I have had random people just hopping on my bike to get a feel. Covering the bike just gives me piece of mind. Keeps the sun and rain off the bike too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
To reply seriously, I mounted a small brass hasp directly on top of the latch. A small brass padlock completes the installation. Yes, I have to remove the lock for a fuel fill. I use a small, tough plastic padlock to lock the zipper of the tankbag. I know, it won't stop a determined thief..... but it will slow them down.

·
Registered
419 Posts
davell said:
To reply seriously, I mounted a small brass hasp directly on top of the latch. A small brass padlock completes the installation. Yes, I have to remove the lock for a fuel fill. I use a small, tough plastic padlock to lock the zipper of the tankbag. I know, it won't stop a determined thief..... but it will slow them down.
OK, need a picture of this setup.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I dunno, maybe it's just me thinking here. The OP is concerned about securing the tank bag to the bike to keep it from being removed by an "unauthorized person". Is the OP concerned about someone taking the bag - or securing the contents?

Personally, I don't worry about it. Someone wants the tank bag, they may get some water, a faceshield, a pair of gloves, couple microfiber towels, a can of Pledge and maybe - if they're lucky - a couple energy bars.

That's the same things they would get if they just unzip the bag - or - if they decide to take a knife and slice an opening in it to take what's in it.

Bottom line to me is, never put anything in a tank bag that you're not willing to let go. If there's something of honest value in the tank bag - take it with you or lock it up.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I
dunno, maybe it's just me thinking here. The OP is concerned about securing the tank bag to the bike to keep it from being removed by an "unauthorized person". Is the OP concerned about someone taking the bag - or securing the contents?

Personally, I don't worry about it. Someone wants the tank bag, they may get some water, a faceshield, a pair of gloves, couple microfiber towels, a can of Pledge and maybe - if they're lucky - a couple energy bars.

That's the same things they would get if they just unzip the bag - or - if they decide to take a knife and slice an opening in it to take what's in it.

Bottom line to me is, never put anything in a tank bag that you're not willing to let go. If there's something of honest value in the tank bag - take it with you or lock it up.

if I'm not mistaken I think the bmw tank bag goes for 300.00
Seems they would have made it so it would be a little more difficult for unauthorized person to remove it.

300.00 bucks for bag is worth more than the stuff I would put in it

·
Registered
17 Posts
steveaikens said:
Pledge? That was interesting... I traditionally use regular Turtle wax on my RT after a good washing behind the ears. Do you use the pledge as a stop and buff kind of thing or instead of Turtle wax? No tongue in cheek here, I'm serious.

Otherwise, yeah, the bag is f**king expensive so I try and keep an eye on it and avoid stopping places where I will be gone from the bike for more than a few minutes. And I don't have stuff in it I can't afford to lose. Otherwise a tip for those riding with full panniers on a trip and have to stop for lunch is to get a laptop safety wire to secure your helmet when you need a break. Just watch the paint or put surgical tubing around the wire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts