BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BMW tank bag and it is OK. It is just not really useful for me and I tend to not use it and keep it on the shelf.
Has anyone found a tank bag with straps that is larger than the BMW bag? I would love this one: NELSON-RIGG Gps Sport Tank Bag Tank Bag Cl2020st
Or one like this. Would something like this be too big?
What do you use??

Reactions: Jimbo3

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the RKA tank bag for my 2000 LT (see attached photos). I like it because it is easy on and off, and I run a 12v DC line from the bag to the Fuzeblock power source with a quick disconnect between the two. I haven't tried any other tank bags and bought it based upon the comments in this forum. My brother liked it so much he purchased one (different model) for his K1600 GT.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I bought a Oxford tankbag from Ironpony. Its awesome limited lifetime warranty. Self healing zippers. And a rain cover.you can put alot stuff in it. A way better bag and 1/2 the price than that BMW small pouch they call a tank bag. It cost about $60.00 My Oxford is about the same size as the Nelson in the picture.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Captain Wayne,

Which RKA bag is that one? Is the phone holder part of it or an add on?

Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
126 Posts
Larry,

The tank bag is a "RKA 8.0 Liter In-Charge Tank Bag" (click on the hyperlink for more info): 8.0 Build sheet Page
The tank bag is well made but as you can determine from the RKA website it is on the expensive side. I mounted my cell phone to the dashboard baseplate using 3M heavy duty velcro attached it and to a removable cell phone case. The setup works well. The phone is connected to a charger while riding and relays to my helmet headphones via bluetooth. I also use the phone as an additional bluetooth mp3 player, as well as, android apps such as backup GPS navigation, and Cam Sam (red light and speed camera warnings). I find the top clear plastic removable window pouch very useful for placing my maps and written directions (I like GPS, but I feel maps give me more broader information at a glance, and the direction list is a summary of key turning points). As you can tell I like the bag, and if cost wasn't an issue I would give it a full thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Another vote for the RKA:thumb:

·
Registered
517 Posts
RKA had been on my 1999 the time I owned it and the same bag is on my 2007 now. I don't know you could get a better bag, plus... you can't have too much storage space. :histerica

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Cortech has a small bag that has a nice neoprene pad and straps that work perfectly on the LT.
Easy to remove and put in trunk when parked.
Cortech Micro 2.0 Tank Bag - RevZilla
They used to have one larger called a mini but seems it's no longer available.
This one large enough for wallet, camera and phone.
I still prefer not to have a LARGE tank bag as it adds nothing to the looks of the LT and there is lots of storage elsewhere.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the reason I want a larger bag is that I have had the radio out for a while and I want to put it back, but I have gotten used to the space. When it goes back I want all my stuff easy to reach. The BMW bag is just to small. I will look into the RKA bags.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Those RKA bags look really nice, but they are obviously taking advantage of the fact that a lot of BMW riders have plenty of money to blow. $300 bucks is ridiculous for a nylon bag.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is the one I posted about in my first post, it looks real good to me, and the price is right

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have the RKA tank bag designed for the LT. I have had it for years and it's great for touring since it holds a lot. The RKA products are extremely well made too. For short trips or commuting, the Cortech 2.0 bag looks like a better option.
Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts