BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 6'4" with a 36 inseam legs. Just came on over 4000 miles maiden trip on my 2006 LT and it was a torture. My hips are killing me and my legs developed a permanent bend, I think. I am planning to:

1. Install lower footpegs. Any suggestions?
2. Higher seat??. het rid of the ridiculous standard bakrest. Any advice here?
3. Highway pegs. Do they work for anyone?

I am desperate and would appreciate any insights asap

·
Registered
205 Posts
some info

Alec said:
welsome to the forum! i am not a person of that stature :) i can chime in though
1. suburban machinery makes k12lt lowering pegs which some have found very helpful.
http://www.suburban-machinery.com/K1200LT.htm
driver floorboards seem to help as well.
http://ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1516
2. there is a seat adjuster underneath the stock seat. open the port side case and pull the frontmost knob to pop the seat open. there is a bar near the rear end of the seat. not sure how much it will help, but it has 2 positions, and you can move that bar/lever and see if it helps to have it in a higher position.
3. open to much debate. with your size, you would need the jpeg xl if you went with highway pegs. people with mick-o-pegs swear by them.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21161
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?item=JPEGS
http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/
you can do a search for mops or j-pegs and find endless debate.

a new saddle might help as well, which is another endless debate.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22570

good luck and enjoy the new rig

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
I am 6'4" as well...

Alec said:
I am 6'4" with a 36 inseam legs. Just came on over 4000 miles maiden trip on my 2006 LT and it was a torture. My hips are killing me and my legs developed a permanent bend, I think. I am planning to:

Howdy Alec,

Been there, done most of that and can offer you this: After getting the new '04 LT, almost immediately I had problems similar to those you describe.

First I tried J-Pegs and they helped a little bit, but not enough and for only short trips. I was desperate so I went with a custom saddle.

What a f#$%^&* difference the custom saddle made. All of a sudden I'm comfortable for very long rides (over a thousand miles a day) and find that I use the J-Pegs only on really long rides and then only for a few minutes at a time every few hours.

In my case, BIG BOY at #265, I went with a Russell Day-Long. If you're not too heavy, say less than #220, then others customs are an option. Knowing what I know now I would recommend a custom saddle first thing you try and then add on other items IF they are necessary.

I did not, nor do I now, want to lower the foot pegs on the my LT. Even with Ohlins and cranked up, the pegs scrape way too much in their present location. Fortunately the issue became moot as soon as I got the custom saddle.

HERE is a link to a survey on Custom Saddle satisfaction from awhile back. Still good info.

And the Russell backrest is, quite simply, the best:

·
Registered
346 Posts
6'6" 246 lbs, 36" inseam

suburban peg lowers
Mayer custom seat
JPeg XLs

Life is good! (Even for us normal-sized folks!)

·
Registered
805 Posts
First, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear that your maiden voyage, which should have been a delight, turned into torture. I agree with Ryan and Bill, and would also offer the following: I'm 6'4", 35" inseam. I have pre-existing left knee problems and pre-existing severe back spasms. I have not installed highway pegs or their alternatives (when you explore these options, you should look at the "Highway Ottomans" as well, I've heard nothing but good things about them, including raves from tall persons. The vendor is one of those listed in Supporting Vendors), I have not sprung for a custom seat (although I hear nothing but raves about them), I ride with my '99 OEM seat in the low position (just my preference, and I do change it occasionally on high mileage days), and I have not lowered my pegs. Because I was so worried about the knee and back, before my first maiden voyage (last summer, also 4000 miles) I did quite a few "break in" days of increasing mileage to see how I would respond. After several painful trips (the pain starting in the knee, progressing to the hip, then to the back), during which that afternoon ride was simply survival in order to get home and crawl up the stairs, I decided to start using my stretching routines, usually done first thing in the morning, at every single stop on a bike trip. The first time I did this I had a much better ride, and each succeeding ride got better. Now I do the routines first thing in the morning, before I mount up, at every stop, and when I dismount for the day. If it's been a long day in the saddle I'll do them in the evening as well. Once that began to help I started to pay more attention to my posture while on the bike and discovered how often I was slumping, so I've been trying to be aware of and to change that. I started wearing a Back-A-Lign elastic belt, primarily because it lets me know when I am slumping. And I use a Bead Rider just because it makes my butt more comfortable. My take is that pain is from strain of muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Without full range of motion, but with constant need for micro adjustments and sometimes slight motion, all these parts tighten up and stress the joints, which is where they all meet. The joints need an opportunity to go thru their full range of motion without stress and the other parts need to untightened, or together they start screaming. Just my .02, and YMMV. I'm not trying to discourage you from looking at changing the ergos on your bike, I'd do that in a heartbeat if I continued to experience pain. Good luck with your search for a solution.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm 6'4 245 and had the same knee hip discomfort. The Suburban Footpeg lowering pieces were the ticket! That little bit of forward and down made a huge difference.
I also have the original J-Pegs. I really like them. Usually one leg at a time is all it takes to just stretch for a minute. I don't like to ride along time with my feet off the regular pegs anyway.
And as previously noted. Build up your mileage alittle slower. You went for the big miles to soon.
Good luck and enjoy this site and mostly your LT!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hello Alec

I'm 5'19", 245lbs. Ridden 102k on the LT. Here is what I would do in retrospect.
1. Get Mick-O-Pegs. The J-Pegs I have don't do much for me.
2. Get a Backup Backrest (best thing for comfort I have done).
3. Get a custom seat...though I don't have one now. I believe the sharp edge of the standard one cuts into our thigh too much and contributes to the pain.

I ride about 50% split between upper and lower position on the seat. Doesn't seem to make much difference. Just change to offset the aches and pains. I would not get a peg-lowering kit, a central and key "joy" of the LT is its ability in the corners and this restricts that too much..seriously.

For me...Mick-O-Pegs and the back-rest.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Tall riders unite

MY 2c. I did install sub mach. lowered pegs and not much help there. The jpegs put my legs in an awkward position OBGYN A little better if I just use one leg at a time. I have heard great things about Mick O Pegs but have not tried them. What I do to relieve the pressure on my knees is sit up and back on the passenger seat for several seconds.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
BillyOmaha said:
Howdy Alec,

Been there, done most of that and can offer you this: After getting the new '04 LT, almost immediately I had problems similar to those you describe.

First I tried J-Pegs and they helped a little bit, but not enough and for only short trips. I was desperate so I went with a custom saddle.

What a f#$%^&* difference the custom saddle made. All of a sudden I'm comfortable for very long rides (over a thousand miles a day) and find that I use the J-Pegs only on really long rides and then only for a few minutes at a time every few hours.

In my case, BIG BOY at #265, I went with a Russell Day-Long. If you're not too heavy, say less than #220, then others customs are an option. Knowing what I know now I would recommend a custom saddle first thing you try and then add on other items IF they are necessary.

I did not, nor do I now, want to lower the foot pegs on the my LT. Even with Ohlins and cranked up, the pegs scrape way too much in their present location. Fortunately the issue became moot as soon as I got the custom saddle.

HERE is a link to a survey on Custom Saddle satisfaction from awhile back. Still good info.

And the Russell backrest is, quite simply, the best:

What he said!

I wuz about ready to sell my LT, but then I got the RUSSELL!

You could say that the $500 Russell saved me $20,000 (I didn't have to trade bikes!). :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
With my $0.02, I guess that make at least $0.04... I'm 6'4" and 255, along with developing knee problems - I've looked/tried as many combinations as I could cobble together.

Seats: what feels good to you after 200 miles - hi or lo setting. These don't just change the height, but the contact points on the seat as well. Note, the covering can also make a huge difference.

J-PegXL/Ottomans: Wasn't comfortable in that position. Period.

MOPs: They just work for me, albeit one leg at a time. Note, NOT for use in the twisties. Also they tend to attract pant cuffs... takes a bit of getting used to.

Peg lowering: First country road and they are OFF OF THERE!!!!! :eek:

Floorboards: Again, they just work for me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Knee and hip pain

I feel your pain,unfotunatley.On my 05 LT I have installed J Pegs,MOP's,Illum chrome floorboards,custom seat by Cee Baileys.None of it worked.I still continued to have the knee and left hip problems,even after as little as 50 miles,I just picked up my 07 HD RoadGlide,hips and knees very happy.05 LT looking for new home,the LT is a fabulous ride in so many ways,but if I'm not comfortable it just ain't worth it.I will miss the braking and handling but the HD will be at CCR this year.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Alec said:

Lowered foot pegs will help, lowered floor boards from Damius will help even more, installing a 1" thick shim between front hinge bracket and seat will raise front of seat so you are not sitting on an incline when seat height adjuster is on high setting will help. Taking the seat cover off and cutting the foam rubber out of the seat back will let you sit farther back, if you have a Bakup back rest you will never know the foam rubber is missing. I'm 6'6" and 69 years old with bad knees and had a choice of quit riding or beat the seat into submission. It may not be the prettiest seat around but at least now I can ride in comfort plus I have a Corbin standing by in case of complete destruction of original seat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too have problems with the Seat being to low. I recently returned to an LT after four years trying RT,s and was disapointed to fing that BMW messed up the Rider,s seating so badly during the 2004 upgrade. My previous bike was a 99 LT and 500 mile days where never a problem. Even with the seat of my 2005 LT at the "higher" setting the lack of leg room and associated discomfort ( hip joint and backache) was to much to bear. I have tried the cheaper option of "block spacers" which are about 15 mm thick under the front mounting points of the passenger seat. You will need to use longer screws. This has raised my seat by the same amount. Although this means that the Front of the Passenger seat is raised by the same amount Iv,e had no complaints from my wife. Made the blocks myself from plywood and sprayed them black so you wouldn,t know they are there. Only drawback is that there is now quite a gap mainly visible from the side when the bike is on the Sidestand. Give it a go, costs nothing !!
Mike Tee

·
Registered
4 Posts
6' 4" Rider go with a custom seat.

I am 6' 4" and weight 295, my longest ride was a three week 7,200 mile trip. I have tried the AirHawk, Beads and could not get comfortable. I went with a Russell Day Long seat and love it. It made a big difference, but I have only done 500 mile trips on it so far, but I am getting ready my June ride from NC to California, then back through Pikes Peak. I highly recommend Russell Day Long custom seats.

David
2003 K1200 LT

John 3:16

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the VERY useful info here -- may move off the RSV into the LT later this summer -- that's when the 08 comes out right? Thnx

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
6'1, 34 1/2" inseam, reconstructed left knee leaving no cartillage, heavy damage to right knee and right ankle...

Best thing I've done in relation to helping with seating position aches (I refuse to lower my foot pegs, because the way I ride, I'd grind the pegs off in a week...ask Tony) is buy an Alaska Sheepskin "butt pad" extra thick. There are half a dozen versions, including a couple sold by forum members, if you get one with a cover and a gel liner, you'd add as much as almost two inches (yes, it makes coming to a stop a little more interesting, but if you're that long of leg, not a problem---those who are 5'8", skip this post)

For me, the reason I didn't replace my wrecked RT with an FJR or ST1300 was that, even with the seat in it's highest, my knees still were bent too close to 90-degrees. With the LT in the seat in its highest, adding another almost inch with the sheepskin, I gained an extra 10 degrees, voila, HUGE reduction in knee pain...and therefore reduction in hip pain.

If you're not overly-aggressive in the twisties, lower the pegs, switch to floorboard-type footpegs (even an extra inch in front and behind gives you infinitely more foot positioning, and changing regularly makes a world of difference...as our friend above who switched to a Road King with immensely lower ergos, yet is more comfortable, will attest), use the XL jpegs--one thread suggested use just the right peg for ten mins, then just the left, which I like doing a LOT, and add a "butt pad" whether it be an alaska, a kountour, one of the beaded things, a gell pad, or a docile midget...your choice

that and do what one of my riding mentors Dick Rothermel suggested...30 mins BEFORE your ride, pop three tylenol

P

·
Registered
71 Posts
i am sorry, i did the Rick Mayer calculator thing, it came to 919.00 dollars for just the solo seat for the driver, i am sorry i can not justify spending basically almost 1 thousand dollars for some jackass doing one hour or two hours work on my seat with an airgrinder, where does he get off, i hate to say this, but CHINA is gunna get word of this and do it for 125.00 dollars and put guys like this out of business. It is a shame, i love riding, but i would never spend that much to be comfortable. But that is my opinion.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Try this.

On long trips I will use my passenger pegs. I will lean my legs back on the passenger pegs, it feels great. I also have wooden beaded seat that I will use to just change the different pressure points on the rear end.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
dano0827 said:
i am sorry, i did the Rick Mayer calculator thing, it came to 919.00 dollars for just the solo seat for the driver, i am sorry i can not justify spending basically almost 1 thousand dollars for some jackass doing one hour or two hours work on my seat with an airgrinder, where does he get off, i hate to say this, but CHINA is gunna get word of this and do it for 125.00 dollars and put guys like this out of business. It is a shame, i love riding, but i would never spend that much to be comfortable. But that is my opinion.
I will have to figure you don't ride that much. No matter how well you love it.
I don't have his seat or endorse it one way or the other.
What I do know from many years of LD riding is this.
1. A long ride on a badly set up bike, can debilatate you for weeks. (Try coast to coast in 3 days on a Panhead)
2. Add up doctor, massuse, spa and chiropracter bills, will come in way over a grand, not counting lost time and income from being hobbled up. (I can't sit to tattoo, if my back is hurting me, and that is how I make my bread)
Only 3 points of your body touch the bike hands, feet and butt, this is where you should spend your first money on farkles.
It also makes for safe riding, when you get to the point of your seat feeling like your trapped in an Iron Maiden. Your total focus is not on the road ahead, thus increasing the chance you wont see some coffin zombie pull out in front of you without looking.
On trip as little as 500 miles on a bad bike it would take me hours to recover, then the next day would be worse
Rock

·
Registered
4 Posts
Russell Day Long Seat

dgrose said:
I am 6' 4" and weight 295, my longest ride was a three week 7,200 mile trip. I have tried the AirHawk, Beads and could not get comfortable. I went with a Russell Day Long seat and love it. It made a big difference, but I have only done 500 mile trips on it so far, but I am getting ready my June ride from NC to California, then back through Pikes Peak. I highly recommend Russell Day Long custom seats.

David
2003 K1200 LT

John 3:16
Just a follow up. I just did a two week 6200 mile trip cross country with my Russell Day Long Seat. It was fantastic, the best money I ever spent. I had no pain, and on the last day being ready to get home I rode 810 miles, and was ready to ride the next day. I did not make Pikes Peak, but Ouray and Silverton made up for missing it. Looks like a trip to New England is in my future.

David
2003 K1200 LT, with 45,000 miles, best bike made.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts