BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Sweeeet!!!!!!!!!!! I love the cup holders!

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
I like how they've accommodated both left- and right-handers. :) But no matter how much stuff they add, some guy's still gotta bring his laptop. I guess they can't get solitaire on any of those big screens . . .

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
That's not an Airbus. It's the first full-size '09 K1800LT mockup. :rolleyes:

My brother flies the Airbus (can't recall which model at this time, but it's similar in size to Boeing's 757). The pilots (one at a time) are allowed to watch DVD movies on their company-issued laptops during the middle section of a long flight. That's one policy he chooses not to take advantage of.

"Not now Denver Control, I'm in the middle of 'Dumb and Dumber' ". :eek:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Boeing has repeatedly polled large numbers of airline pilots on their preferences for the side stick or center stick and yoke. The large majority prefer the center stick and yoke which is the primary reason Boeing has never put side sticks in their aircraft. Of couse people usually like what they are already used to. Imagine what the public opinion would be if the automotive industry decided to replace the brake, accelerator and steering wheel on cars with a side stick.

As you have astutely pointed out the side sticks on the Airbus are not ambidextrous but a center stick and yoke is. The earliest implementations of side sticks also did not have a lot of tactile feedback. That issue has been pretty much resolved over the years. They must have picked up a lot of pointers from the flight sim gaming industry. :histerica

Of course a little training and practice will overcome almost any issue. Commercial aircraft practically fly themselves anyway. The amount of time a pilot actually needs to have a hand on the stick is relatively small. Of course the time that they do is pretty important to everyone on board. :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
jwd98056 said:
Boeing has repeatedly polled large numbers of airline pilots on their preferences for the side stick or center stick and yoke. The large majority prefer the center stick and yoke which is the primary reason Boeing has never put side sticks in their aircraft. Of couse people usually like what they are already used to. Imagine what the public opinion would be if the automotive industry decided to replace the brake, accelerator and steering wheel on cars with a side stick.

As you have astutely pointed out the side sticks on the Airbus are not ambidextrous but a center stick and yoke is. The earliest implementations of side sticks also did not have a lot of tactile feedback. That issue has been pretty much resolved over the years. They must have picked up a lot of pointers from the flight sim gaming industry. :histerica

Of course a little training and practice will overcome almost any issue. Commercial aircraft practically fly themselves anyway. The amount of time a pilot actually needs to have a hand on the stick is relatively small. Of course the time that they do is pretty important to everyone on board. :D

Your right. Most pilots are from the military and thier mode of flying id usinf a center stick or yoke with power controls on the left;ept for the C130 and C10's I believe. I flew in the Marine Coprs for many years (A-6, A-4, OV-10, and F/A-4. All had center stick and power on left. WOuld be real difficult for me to change to left side or right side stick. But, remember, the Airbus is a European aircraft..........they always do things from the other side.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
DaveDragon said:
The camera view from the top of the empanage is cool!The Laptop with the system parameter screen open is un-cool!
Man, did you see the size of those 'pedal to the metal' thangies!!! :eek: Good grief, you could wear mucklucks and still floorboard it!! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
What is the handle thingie that each pilot has on the bulkhead? It's an enclosed handle with a pleated fabric or rubberized covering. It looks like something a school bus driver would pull on to open the bus door.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
hschisler said:
What is the handle thingie that each pilot has on the bulkhead? It's an enclosed handle with a pleated fabric or rubberized covering. It looks like something a school bus driver would pull on to open the bus door.
I think those are the handles for pulling the engine starter ropes if the battery is dead - I got just one on my Honda 22" self-propelled!! :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
579 Posts
The B-747 has escape lines for the crew to get out of the cockpit, out the window, to get safely to the ground in a crash situation. If I remember right the 747's were above the window.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
hschisler said:
I don't know about the 380 for certain, but I would bet a lot of money that those handles are for opening the side window. The 319, 320 have a handle in that position but it's a mechanical method to open the window. The 380 is probably fly by wire on the window control.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
teleprompter

I like the fact that the pilot has a teleprompter. You never know. He might mess up bad when he's welcoming us aboard. That teleprompter will keep him straight. :eek:

Another cool thing is that both the pilot and copilot each have their own qwerty keyboard. They tune one of those screens to bwmlt.com and they can keep up with the forums :D

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
DaveDragon said:
Thats the Oh Shit Handle!

Not sure what it is.
Yes, that's what I'm curious about. I asked my brother; he's flying for the next few days but will get back to me when he can. In the meantime it looks like John and others have described what it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts