BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent additions (or implants :rotf: ) to Barbara a while ago, it would seem that she needs a heart transplant as well. This will be her second transplant to ensure she keeps her skirt on!!!

That said, I have the donor engine...

And have done my own clutch/gearbox (i.e. -Implants) but never had the need or the want to tackle a job like this myself. I've got the tools, and most of the knowledge to get this done.

I would however like the input from those that have completed the task, if there are any pit falls to look at prior? Barbara has 148K on an engine that was replaced already. I believe that I blew out a cylinder ring as she is smoking paul mauls, mixed with oil! In the last few hundred miles she has went through about a quart of oil!!1 :mad:

I will post pictures of the ordeal for the humor value only! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clayton said:
Wow,how many miles are on the bike total?
Somewhere in the range of 148K, I do not suspect that the odometer has been swapped out... You figure that grifscoots, RaffyK, Scott H (not on the site) and I rode/ride her hard... all these years! :rotf:

Anyone go down this hole? complete a swap? need to know if there is anything I should watch for or any special tips....

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
shoswell said:
Somewhere in the range of 148K, I do not suspect that the odometer has been swapped out... You figure that grifscoots, RaffyK, Scott H (not on the site) and I rode/ride her hard... all these years! :rotf:

Anyone go down this hole? complete a swap? need to know if there is anything I should watch for or any special tips....
When it's all back together, don't forget to add oil. Don't ask me why . . .

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
All the best to you for tackling this Hoss. Let us know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
What year was the donor bike? Differences in ECU for the 99-04 and 05 and newer?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Just make sure that you get all the electrical wiring undone at the right places before you drop the motor, including the three wires at the front of the engine. John Zeiler and I just finished this transplant on my '02 in July.

As another has said, what year motor do you have going in what year frame? If the donor motor is '05 and up and the bike is '04 on down, you WILL need a new ECU (moronic) for your bike. The '05 and up have a different cam sprocket and there for different timing from the ECU.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve_R said:
Just make sure that you get all the electrical wiring undone at the right places before you drop the motor, including the three wires at the front of the engine. John Zeiler and I just finished this transplant on my '02 in July..
Found that in the tear down of the donor bike. Never knew there were wires comming from the block... Who knew!!!

Steve_R said:
As another has said, what year motor do you have going in what year frame? If the donor motor is '05 and up and the bike is '04 on down, you WILL need a new ECU (moronic) for your bike. The '05 and up have a different cam sprocket and there for different timing from the ECU.
The donor is an 01, and Barbara is an 00. I will be reusing the motronic as its got the rhinewest chip in it.. Hopefully its as straight forward as the tear down of the donor bike... If so I's think its going to be tit;s up my monday...

This is where I am at today... Tear down starts tomarrow... We will see how far I get...Just put on the stand and losened the swing arm bolts!!

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
The oil pressure and water temp sending wires as well as the hall effect wires come out at the top of the timing cover and disconnect in the lower relay box. Plug and play if you get it right. I made a wooden plate with angle stock that bolted to the four holes in the side of the oil pan (the skid plate mounts to the rear holes).

This wooden plate was then bolted to a floor jack and with the engine mounted it was really easy to raise the engine/trans assy. I had the back of the bike raised up and put 1/4 inch bolts in the front two motor mounts to give me some swinging room at the tranny as I lowered the frame down on it. I recommend pulling the TBs off for this. Just gives you one less thing to worry about, but don't forget to put them back on and route the breather hose before you put in the rear mount bolt.
You have been there before since have done a clutch job , then you were only two bolts and three wires away from an engine change.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jzeiler said:
I made a wooden plate with angle stock that bolted to the four holes in the side of the oil pan (the skid plate mounts to the rear holes).
:worthless

Thanks, I was hoping you would chime in... So, if i read correctly, the biggest beo'tch is going to get the new in the old position? kinda thought that...

Slow and methodical..... should help.... :wave

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
OK OK here are the pic's. I took out the cup in the jack and bolted a 2 x 4 to it. Then I screwed a plywood plate to the 2 x 4. I jacked the thing up under the engine I was removing and mounted the angle stock with M8 bolts to the oil pan and then marked the plywood for mounting the angle stock . Drilled the holes and bolted it all up. This will be a little harder to do on a lift. I was on the floor when we did Steve's bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to know.. I may just try to manhandle if possible... You know how us Marines are when it comes to brut force! :D

Started about 7am PST... Wife is stopping me, to feed me... so after 1.5 hours....

More to follow!

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
You could man handle it if you get the tranny off and have a helper. I choose the jack method to make the single handed removal easier for me. Press on and Semper Fi, Hoss! Wish I could be there to lend a hand.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jzeiler said:
You could man handle it if you get the tranny off and have a helper. I choose the jack method to make the single handed removal easier for me. Press on and Semper Fi, Hoss! Wish I could be there to lend a hand.

As do I, seems my group of support chose to go on a week long ride on Friday! Harrumph!!!

I'm taking my second break... another 1.5 and this is where I be!

I think this was a sign that something was wrong. Ya think?

At this point I've got to dig into the books to find out how to detach the cruise control and throttle cable...

Boldly going where I've never been before....Scaaaarrrrrryyyyy! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BigGeo said:
The pics are great - I'm realy enjoying your adventure into the unknown.
My pleasure... Sorry for the delay, but you know what happens when neighbors stop by... Should have been at the assembly stage by now...

On a side note: throttle and cruise were a little tricky, but I did not need to refer to the book. You see, I can not read! :rotf:

Also, the block itself is not heavy... but then being 6'5 260lbs helps! :rotf:

Now for the UGLY pictures....

And the puzzling Back side of the gear box!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Time for lunch! which leaves time to think... :confused:

Crap all that has to be put back on ???? :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,524 Posts
shoswell said:
My pleasure... Sorry for the delay, but you know what happens when neighbors stop by... Should have been at the assembly stage by now...

On a side note: throttle and cruise were a little tricky, but I did not need to refer to the book. You see, I can not read! :rotf:

Also, the block itself is not heavy... but then being 6'5 260lbs helps! :rotf:

Now for the UGLY pictures....

And the puzzling Back side of the gear box!

Strange, I could see your other pics, but I can't see those in this post.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts