BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like the biggest growing threat to us is when we are exposed while sitting at a stop sign or red light and a cager comes up behind us while using their phone to text, etc. I've already been hit this way while in my car, so it really worries me while on the bike. I've started to stop myself skewed to the right or left side of the car in front of me so they get hit instead of me in that case, and considering pulling up even alongside their rear wheel just in case, when possible.

I also want to pick up some more visible tail lighting such as the P3 ones (link below), even though it might not help at all if the person coming up on me is completely heads-down.

Any comments on this problem and solutions/alternatives? Also is there a list of most common/popular farkles for my new 2012 RT? I've found some by searching here, just didn't know if anyone had a handy list. Not looking to go all out, just improve in a few areas.

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Features.shtml

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Having been rear-ended on my bike in the past in just that situation (stopped behind a car waiting to make a left turn across traffic), I'm super vigilant at any stop now! I too try to position myself so I can accelerate out of harm's way, if necessary and I'm constantly checking my mirrors. I also flash my brakes pretty much continuously whilst stopped - just to be sure.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If there's room in front of the first car in line, and no cops around, I split lanes and take position there, and then give a thank you wave to the car I pulled in front of. The wave seems to perplex them, but keep them calm.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Hyperlites or any other type of flashing REAR lights are illegal, refer to CRF for legality issues.
With that said do what you gotta do to stay safe, but most important is always leave yourself an out. I see far too many riders out of gear, centered on the cage they pulled up too close to and never checking their rearviews. Good rule of thumb is have the bike in gear and be looking in your mirrors until at LEAST one cage is stopped behind you.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
350 Posts
The Hyperlights look to me to be about worthless; way too small to be seen effectively during the day. I added the BMW auxiliary brake light which flashes, and I'll be sticking some of that 3M reflective stuff on the back of my bags. Best thing you can do is watch your mirrors and re-apply the brake when traffic's approaching.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I prefer not to rely on technology because it leads to Warning Inflation. For example, drivers used to look at the road so they could notice an upcoming curve. Then the "authorities responsible for our welfare" (cough cough) added reflective signs to warn us of an upcoming curve. Then they added signs with a recommended speed for the curve. Then they added bigger signs. Then they changed the actual speed limit before the curve. Then they put up blinking signs saying "dangerous curve ahead." Or "motorcyclists, use extreme caution." None of it helps, because we adjust to each level of warning.

I prefer to use the strategies already posted above, but with a twist: I assume the car behind me will rear-end me until I have evidence to the contrary. In other words, as I slow down, I pick an escape route and aim the bike in that direction. Then I keep it in gear and stare at my rear-view mirror, ready to skeedaddle outta there, until I see that the car is, indeed, going to stop.

A bit of a chore, but like Andy Grove, one of Intel's founders, said: "Only the paranoid survive."

ape

1 - 9 of 9 Posts