BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone send me a picture of the wiring that leads to the tail light assembly? I think my issue may be in there. I took the light off and unplugged it and the noise coming from the front of the bike under the gas tank went away. I am thinking the trailer lights are screwed up and I want to remove them as well as verify that the wires are on the right side of the bulbs. I need something to compare with. A picture would be a GREAT help! Either post one or send one to me PM style.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Kirk! Take a deep breath. You never mentioned in your previous post that you have trailer wiring installed. This would have been good to know from the start. Since this is aftermarket wiring this would be the first place I would look. If you are looking for the quickest way to determine if the trailer wiring is causing the problem just snip the trailer wiring RIGHT WHERE THE FACTORY WIRING CONNECTS TO THE AFTERMARKET WIRING. One wire at a time until you run out of wires to snip or the issue goes away. Do NOT cut the wiring near the trailer plug end. If you do this you will eliminate the trailer wiring as the cause.

Do you have a trailer connected when this problem occurs?

One last thing. You should keep all posts relating to a problem in the same thread. Believe me the guys are following your progress but it gets confusing when multiple threads are open on the same issue.

Start with the trailer wiring and let us know what happens.

Loren

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am very much calming down. The reason I wanted a pic was to verify the wire placement on the bulbs as I remove the trailer wiring. In answer to your question, no I was not trailering. I just bought this bike and it is my first BMW. I am not used to working on something with so many wires and so much going on. I will do the wire ecotomy in the next couple of hours and see where that leads. My number 1 reason for thinking that is the problem is when I disconected the tail light at the plug, the problem disappeared. Meaning the weird noise under the gas tank stopped when the brakes were applied. I will take your advice and not make anymore sub posts related to the same issue. Sorry to all for the confusion. To see the other posts related to this same issue click http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61395
Thank you to all who have been patient with me and have posted. The dealers mechanic really didnt help my intestinal distress level by making me feel like an idiot for buying it. I am looking forward to resolving this issue and just riding for a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts