BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi all, just took my tg along out for it's first ride and it appears the rear leaf spring is rattling against the bottom of the trailer frame. There seems to be about an 1/8 inch gap. I have the leaf springs mounted with the eye hole of the leaf spring towards the front of the trailer. The rear has no eye hole, only a bent tang which points downward a good distance behind the bolt. I did put a piece of hose on the rear bolts. The trailer frame and ear leaf spring just rattle. Ok just checked that the spring moves freely on the front bolt. I have the rear of the trailer jacked up under the rear frame. The rear of the leaf spring is resting on the hose covered bolts. Between the frame and leaf spring is 1/4 - 1/3 inch of space. Just downright sloppy.
I must of done something wrong because it just ain't right. All help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Hi Marc:

From your description you've got "slipper" springs. You're on the right track installing a piece of hose over the bolt to take up the gap and reduce rattle. I used some nylon reinforced translucent hose - typically used for plumbing tasks and a step down from steel braided. Available by the foot at just about any hardware store.

I think it's made from polyurethane. Pretty tough stuff and hard enough to resist wear over time compared to regular rubber hose. Makes a great "ghetto" bushing. ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes is is a slipper spring. I will look for some thicker hose but not sure if I can take up that much slack above the spring, the bolt is below the spring. I am wondering if I can find some kinda hard plastic and epoxy it to the bottom of the frame between the fram and the spring. Not sure it would stay in place with the spring moving in and out. Thanks

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
mpillis said:
yes is is a slipper spring. I will look for some thicker hose but not sure if I can take up that much slack above the spring, the bolt is below the spring. I am wondering if I can find some kinda hard plastic and epoxy it to the bottom of the frame between the fram and the spring. Not sure it would stay in place with the spring moving in and out. Thanks
A piece of UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) plastic would be ideal. It is available in many different thicknesses and you many be able to get a scrap for free from a local plastic supply house. The harder you compress it the more it lubricates. You won't be able to epoxy it on since glue won't stick to it - but a couple of sheet metal screws recessed below the surface would do the trick. You'll NEVER wear it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts