BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen threads by others started more than once discussing this issue, but I have never seen info written on a fix - hopefully an answer is out amongst our participants....

My 2005 KLT has about 20K miles, so not a high mileage related problem, but has had this issue for several years with the needles of the tach and speedometer spiking. The tach needle spikes rapidly from 1 to about 3K but this only occurs when sitting and idling with the bike stopped in a parking lot, or stopped at a traffic light. This seems to be more prevalent in warmer temperatures than colder. The tach spiking has never occurred once the bike is moving (or the speedometer is off the “0” point). The speedometer spikes while operating once moving but only up to about 50 mph. It never seems to occur at speeds above 60 mph, and seems to be the worst around 40 mph. When this momentary spike occurs the major annoyance comes with an almost deafening spike in the volume level from the radio. I realize that I can turn off the speed related volume function on the radio (unfortunately I like that feature) but the info is offered to show that the needle spike is triggering some electrical feed to the speed volume function of the radio.

The problem does not seem to be related to any type of road or moving vibrations as I have tried to intentionally trigger the speedo spike while riding a bumpy road - no patterns observed. I also thought for awhile that the problem was in the fuse box. There are two fuses providing power to the instrument panel. I have replaced both of these on spec. and cleaned the terminals and checked the connections in the area. This seemed to provide some temporary relief but that was short lived, so probably not the root of the issue. I have also been wondering what controls, or triggers the full scale needle swings of the tach and speedo on initial power up as this function may be related to the unwanted spiking - but still looking for an answer.

If either of the fuses is pulled and replaced while the bike is idling the speedo and tach will do the full scale swing. The annoying spike that I am trying to source does not show up as a full scale swing, but the degree of the volume spike from the radio would probably indicate a full scale, but very short duration electrical surge.

Thanks in advance if the group can come up with any suggestions, or fixes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Bringing this thread to the top again just in case it sparks a chord with anyone out there. I quizzed the local dealer service department and he vaguely remembers troubleshooting one other bike with the issue. In the end they replaced the speedo cluster as the problem seemed to be within the cluster, but that bike was still under warranty and BMW paid the tab. Replacement cluster is in the $900 range in Canada. He also said there was a superseded part number issued in 2007, possibly to address this problem. Looking for a lower cost alternative fix if anyone has had, and resolved this issue.

Edit: just looked at the online parts fiche $1458 for the cluster, wrong price info from the local dealer - now I will have even more incentive to repair !!!!!

Steve Collier
'05 KLT

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
HammerStar said:
Bringing this thread to the top again just in case it sparks a chord with anyone out there. I quizzed the local dealer service department and he vaguely remembers troubleshooting one other bike with the issue. In the end they replaced the speedo cluster as the problem seemed to be within the cluster, but that bike was still under warranty and BMW paid the tab. Replacement cluster is in the $900 range in Canada. He also said there was a superseded part number issued in 2007, possibly to address this problem. Looking for a lower cost alternative fix if anyone has had, and resolved this issue.

Edit: just looked at the online parts fiche $1458 for the cluster, wrong price info from the local dealer - now I will have even more incentive to repair !!!!!

Steve Collier
'05 KLT
This thread may have some pertinent info for you. It wuz in the "Similar threads" area below your post. HTH - good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts