BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this NOT an oil thread, but here goes : my bike is a '99 with only 41k. At 30k, and 4 years ago, it was serviced by BMW dealer, all fluids changed. Since then I have done my own wrenching. The bike shop put synthetic trans fluid and Final drive gear oil -- both synthetic. I have not changed them. Bike runs fine - no leaks anywhere. The esteemed weep holes have NOT been drilled. The Clymer manual shows for these fluids to be R&R at 24,000 miles or every two years. I've been 4 yrs but only 11k; should these fluids be changed ? And keep synthetic ? Thanks in advance for the superior experience and mucho years of maintenance ! FYI, I checked the Illinois club videos & did not find any answers. Heck, he mixes diff types of auto oil in his bike too. I guess I'm wondering since my bike is a first year model, what's best ? Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm considering changing to traditional gear lube in the trans, because the longer molecules of synthetics will find leak paths easier. A trans input seal leak is disastrous to our "difficult to change" clutch plate.

Reactions: ValkyrieRider

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Leave the transmission alone but change the rear drive and inspect the magnet. This is the best way to catch early a rear dive failure. Look for shiny stuff, grey fuzz is OK. Synthetic is OK as well 108,000 and no leaks on mine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leave the transmission alone but change the rear drive and inspect the magnet. This is the best way to catch early a rear dive failure. Look for shiny stuff, grey fuzz is OK. Synthetic is OK as well 108,000 and no leaks on mine.
Thanks John, I just changed the FD; it was clean - a little fuzz, nothing shiny. BTW, I'm originally from B'ham; I see you're in Hazel Green. I have a good friend just west of I-65 in Elkmont. He helps run the North Alabama Vintage Motorcycle Club. They're mainly into the older British stuff. My dad was also involved with Barbers Motorsports in B'ham, on Southside, before he built the big Museum & racetrack. Wow, what a place !! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had already changed the trans & FD lubes as part of my initial maintenance on this bike. I used Lucas synthetic in each.
I was pleased to see little metallic residue on the FD drain. Subsequently, Saddleman adviced to do a touch temp check the FD casing, after a "good" ride. If it's too warm to touch, very bad. If just warm-hot, it's probably good for now. Mine just gets pretty warm, but not so that I can't keep my hand on it for a bit. So, so far-so good.
But, I am still thinking about using a traditional gear lube in the trans, just in the trans, in the future. So far, there, are no signs of any lube oozing out under the joint with the engine. PO did tell me the clutch was changed out about 20k miles ago, but I have no receipts. So, I do not know those circumstances or parts used.
I'm just being cautious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts