BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride last night after work and all was well for 50 miles or so. On my return trip, I started having issues with high beam not coming on after dimming for oncoming traffic. At first it was slow to respond. I would leave it off for about one minute then trying again, would fire right up. Eventually, it stopped working altogether.

Is this symptoms of a failing ballast? Or a failing connector somewhere?
DDM Tuning, 55w, 5000k, H3.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,068 Posts
I would go towards the ballast as I have an HID install that is 10 years old and it started getting flaky a few years ago. Traced it to an inline fuse that was corroded. But two years ago it would not always light up the first time. I replaced the ballast with a good Phillips unit I pick up at CCR Silent Auction. It now fires first time every time and is a bright as ever. Same 10 year old bulb by the way.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I'm willing to bet "Ballast" as well. The guys at DDM Tuning were real good about the warranty (was only about a year old), and sent me a whole new unit (bulb and ballast) just to make it simple.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,068 Posts
We all guessed wrong. Took delivery of new system a couple of days ago and finally got a chance to install earlier this evening. Connected the new ballast first, but no-go. Replaced the light element and now all is good. :wave
Just curious was the quartz globe broken inside the tube? Usually the bulbs will go a long ways, unless broken. Glad you fixed it either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts