BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The K1200LT is totally new to me. So please bear with my simple questions. My "brake failure" light keeps blinking even after I've started the bike. What am I doing wrong?:serious:

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You need to drive the bike for at least ten feet for the lights to stop flashing.

·
Registered
738 Posts
WElcome! What year model of LT are you riding? What caused you to make the change?
Once you start moving forward, the blinking should stop... unless, you have two lights flash back and forth - meaning you should check the brake fluid levels in the containers or check your battery as first steps to resolve the issue. For me, it is always brake fluid level, so far.
Are the brakes otherwise working fine as you push/walk the bike?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Welcome

I think mTrevelino answered your question so I will not add anything to his post. I just wanted to say hi, been there done that. I bought my R1200RT last January and sold my Harley last June. The Roadie was my first Harley, the RT is my 13th BMW.

You'll find the brands are very different but they both have a distinct personally. The error code you are seeing is typical, a big deal until you understand it and nothing to worry about afterwards. BMW assumes their customers will accept quirks, just like Harley. It works much better for both brands if you consider it a sign of character. :wink:

The K1200LT is totally new to me. So please bear with my simple questions. My "brake failure" light keeps blinking even after I've started the bike. What am I doing wrong?:serious:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
The system does a self test when you first turn the key on with a rapid flash that only lasts for a few seconds then it transitions to a slow flash as long as the brakes are NOT applied and key on. If you are on a slope put the bike in 1st gear and turn on the key (do not apply brakes) then start with the clutch in after it goes to slow flash (you can also apply the brakes now). After you have ridden a few feet the test on the wheel sensors will complete and the lights should go out.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I guess I am fortunate to have my 02 Harley Wideglide and my 16 R1200RT. They are such different bikes. I love riding them both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts