BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heat Switch does not seem to work on the front seat of my LT. It is always ON and frying my rear end!!!. Yes, I can unplug it, but in that case, everytime I want to turn on then I have to lift the front seat and plug it back on. (Yes, I know the middle position is the OFF position)

Any idea for replacing the heat switch? OEM or after market?

Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I think that Doug Sorchilla tried to buy a switch and found that it is not sold as a spare part, meaning you need to buy a whole seat!:eek:
I remember someone suggesting a switch from Corbin. Worth a try.
Of course you can always look for a used switch, but I am afraid that people want to sell the whole seat and not part with the switch.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If I had my "Mickey-Mouse Ears" on, I would wire a toggle switch to disable the heated seat current. This would become my new on/off switch.

I bet you you could also remove the switch and go the the local NAPA (or equiv) and have them match it up.

Good Luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would have to guess any good electronics store would carry a replacement switch. If you can get the old one out, take it to one.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I think a 'single pole double throw' rocker switch,Should be able to find one at about any of the Auto parts stores, Radio shack OWETF. Ask around on the Saturday chore run.

Shouldn't be too much load on it.

Or, pull the fuse...............?.................... :cool:

·
Registered
832 Posts
MattKas said:
Heat Switch does not seem to work on the front seat of my LT. It is always ON and frying my rear end!!!. Yes, I can unplug it, but in that case, everytime I want to turn on then I have to lift the front seat and plug it back on. (Yes, I know the middle position is the OFF position)

Any idea for replacing the heat switch? OEM or after market?

Thanks in advance...
Heated seats in Arizonia?..... :histerica

Just kidding.....I know that it gets down to the mid forties..... :D

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
PM me, I scalp the one off my original!!! Your lucky its sitting on my bench! :wave

Pay it forward...!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I only need the heat in the mornings. It is too hot to use in the afternoon.

kk610lt said:
Heated seats in Arizonia?..... :histerica

Just kidding.....I know that it gets down to the mid forties..... :D

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Hmmmm.......
I did get a switch for my '03 from BMW and replaced mine...

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I bought my 99 the switch was stuck on and the PO cut the wires. I took the seat off and soak the switch in WD40 and slowly forced the switch back and forth until it freed up.
I got lucky and its worked fine.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
seems like I paid $34 U.S. for it.........
was listed under something else but they said it was the same switch and it did work.
through a series of events I even ended up with two of them and sent one to another member of this site who needed one.
I can't search my records because we're in the middle of moving and.........which box ??

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Seems like it was a heated grip switch that I got to replace the bad seat switch.........

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Got It !!!!

I found it Matt
Part # 61-31-1-459-234 switch, heated grips, heated seat for K1200LT (and others)
$41.17

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
I have to agree with mooney 3025, spray it with some wd40 and work it back an forth. It is a single pole-double throw-center off (not a very common switch) and if the centering spring gets gummed up it will not let the internal element "park" in the center. If that does not work replace it with a general purpose single pole-single throw switch. Just wire up the low setting and tape off the high. That way you have on and off. You don't need high in AZ. (or just wire up the high side)

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
If mine failed I would look real hard at something like this.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6797t15/=5ajt68

Did not check all the specs, nor do I know the space constraints in the seat, but Mcmaster may have something that will work.

Good luck.

Edit: Wait a minute before I get postalized :) The one that is highlighted won't work because it is momentary on, needs a relay to hold the signal. But look around on a few pages, may be something there. It just may not be waterproof, but some RTV can help cure that.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Would I be right in thinking that basically the seat has two sets of heating element wires taking power from the same source ?

The LOW setting ( one wire ) goes to only one connector on one side of the switch and the HIGH setting ( both wires ) to the two connectors on the other side ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts