BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Hump Day!
Been giving some thought to the hydraulic center stand. I saw some pics of bikes with the factory installation, and I noticed the switch to operate the stand is on the right handlebar. :confused:
What's the logic here? I've read where BMW doesn't advise operating the stand w/ operator and passenger on it. If this is so, then it seems one would stand on left side, just like they'd do for a bike w/ a manual center stand, hold the bike upright by grabbing the left handlebar and perhaps steady it by holding the left grab handle w/ right hand, while pushing the button/switch w/ the left hand's finger, thereby necessitating the switch being located on left handlebar.

Apparently, this isn't the recommended procedure or are people standing on the right side of the bike to perform this procedure? Which makes absolutely no sense to me.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
If you stand beside the bike, why would it matter which side you stand on? Perhaps if you are left handed you would feel more comfortable on the ride side and right handed more comfortable on the left.
I think if it is moving I am going to be in the saddle, I happen to have 32 inch inseam and just straddle the bike. :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnbaker15 said:
If you stand beside the bike, why would it matter which side you stand on? Perhaps if you are left handed you would feel more comfortable on the ride side and right handed more comfortable on the left.
I think if it is moving I am going to be in the saddle, I happen to have 32 inch inseam and just straddle the bike. :)
I use to have a 32 inch inseam, but I think it's shrunk. :(

I guess I'm thinking from force of habit. All bikes seem to have side stand on left side, as well as the portion of manual center stand to step on.

If something were to happen, I'd hope I could get the side stand down if need be to prevent a tip over.

Also, seems like mounting and dismounting horses is always done from the left side (port side for you sailors :D )

On side stands, the bike is leaning that direction, so it's just naturally easier to swing one's leg over the seat/saddle from the left side. :p

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
+1

If bike is in motion, I am going to be on it. Even with a 31" inseam, I can straddle the bike as it goes up (at least most of the way.

Seems a lot safer than standing to the side, esp if ground is not quite level or even.

·
Registered
576 Posts
bikerj said:
What's the logic here? I've read where BMW doesn't advise operating the stand w/ operator and passenger on it.
They don't advise it, but I can speak from experience, it lifts the bike, me, and my lovely lightweight wife just fine...and I'm not quite so light.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,429 Posts
I have been using it for 8 years now and I am always ON the bike and use it every time I ride. When the wife is aboard she stays on as well. No problems. (Neither of us are light weights ... Shhhh!)

I would NEVER do this standing at the side as she bucks pretty good when the fluid leaks down. Would not want to be there when it happened.

Oh and from the 08 manual:

Hold the right handlebar grip

with your right hand

• Sit upright on the motorcycle,

with both feet on the ground to

support your weight

• Press and hold down the button

to extend the centre stand

Sounds like BMW agrees with me.

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
bikerj said:
Happy Hump Day!
Been giving some thought to the hydraulic center stand. I saw some pics of bikes with the factory installation, and I noticed the switch to operate the stand is on the right handlebar. :confused:
What's the logic here? I've read where BMW doesn't advise operating the stand w/ operator and passenger on it. If this is so, then it seems one would stand on left side, just like they'd do for a bike w/ a manual center stand, hold the bike upright by grabbing the left handlebar and perhaps steady it by holding the left grab handle w/ right hand, while pushing the button/switch w/ the left hand's finger, thereby necessitating the switch being located on left handlebar.

Apparently, this isn't the recommended procedure or are people standing on the right side of the bike to perform this procedure? Which makes absolutely no sense to me.
The logic is that you operate the centerstand BEFORE dismounting.

·
Registered
656 Posts
There is not a snow balls chance that I would engage the center center while dismounted from the bike. I stand up while the bike is coming up and end up on my tippy toes, have never had a problem doing that

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes, as the manual states, just straddle the bike and press the button on the RH handlebar. If you can't touch the ground as she goes up just enjoy the ride ! I can tell you that mine will raise me, my wife and all our luggage easily, and that's around the 580 Kg mark all up. Don't try the ride-off stunt though, she'll eventually rebel in 1 way or another and you will pay the price, literally.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jzeiler said:
I have been using it for 8 years now and I am always ON the bike and use it every time I ride. When the wife is aboard she stays on as well. No problems. (Neither of us are light weights ... Shhhh!)

I would NEVER do this standing at the side as she bucks pretty good when the fluid leaks down. Would not want to be there when it happened.

Oh and from the 08 manual:

Hold the right handlebar grip

with your right hand

• Sit upright on the motorcycle,

with both feet on the ground to

support your weight

• Press and hold down the button

to extend the centre stand

Sounds like BMW agrees with me.
It would seem others have been putting out misinformation according to John's quote from his 08 owner's manual.

Out of curiosity, when did they lower the factory seat height? was it the same year they came out with the electro-hydraulic center stand, which was '05, or afterwards?
I also wonder if the EHCS was the main reason for lowering the seat, especially if the LT had originally been designed for a somewhat taller operator in mind.

Good stuff Mr. Zeiler.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It's written the same way in the '05 manual, even shows a little piccy of a Bavarian person sitting nice and straight while he presses the button. My Harley mates hate it, they cringe and look away. The most technology they have is electric lights in recent years, took over from their carbide lamps, oh, and self cancelling turn signals since about 2004, WOW !

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
K100Dennis said:
It's written the same way in the '05 manual, even shows a little piccy of a Bavarian person sitting nice and straight while he presses the button. My Harley mates hate it, they cringe and look away. The most technology they have is electric lights in recent years, took over from their carbide lamps, oh, and self cancelling turn signals since about 2004, WOW !
Good Day Mate!
Maybe some blokes just like the old school stuff. :cool:

Cheers! :toast:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,429 Posts
I don't know that they lowered the seat as much as they "narrowed" it for 05. I tried an early seat on my 05 to get a wider support and it was a high as the stock seat. Ended up going with a Russel. Even though I have a 30" inseam I keep the seat on "high".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts