BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be in need of a swingarm for my LT. Yesterday while in the process of swapping my FD the outside pivot pin cracked and the 12mm allen spun and stripped the pin. The pin will not move.If any members have a swingarm for sale please let me know.

I have checked all the bone yards without luck.
Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a used one I bought in February thinking I had trouble with the threaded insert.

I'll be glad to send it on to you if you still need it. I can look up the price when I get home. It was under $100 if I remember right.

Joe

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
Sounds like it may have had some loctite on it. You should still be able to get it out. Apply some heat from a good heat gun and then use a large cold chisel on the outer edge of the pivot pin. Then you will only need a new pivot pin. I got lucky when I did my weep hole last weekend, only destroyed one swing arm forward (14MM) pivot pin. I had purchased spares before CCR.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
+1 on the cold chisel method..........I use that often getting bolts out of the Chevy bell housings that strip out. It's a life saver for sure........... :)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EncoreJoe said:
I have a used one I bought in February thinking I had trouble with the threaded insert.

I'll be glad to send it on to you if you still need it. I can look up the price when I get home. It was under $100 if I remember right.

Joe
PM sent !

Thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jzeiler said:
Sounds like it may have had some loctite on it. You should still be able to get it out. Apply some heat from a good heat gun and then use a large cold chisel on the outer edge of the pivot pin. Then you will only need a new pivot pin. I got lucky when I did my weep hole last weekend, only destroyed one swing arm forward (14MM) pivot pin. I had purchased spares before CCR.
I plan to give it one last try. Glad it all worked out for you.

BTW any idea what the FD pivot pin is made out of ?

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
It looks to be coated (anodized) aluminum. They were very light when I had them out last week end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts