BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have CharlieVT correctly shim a spare drive I have. When installing the drive, I'm going to replace the clutch slave cylinder and seal behind it. As well, I'll drill the weep hole. I'd like to have all necessary parts on hand to complete the job once I start. The bike is a 2005 LT with 42,000 miles.

Would you replace the pivot bearings and front and rear swingarm rubber boots while doing this? Should I have any of the circlips that I'll remove on hand; anyone ever break one while removing swingarm and driveshaft?

Anything I've missed?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
When I did mine, I inspected them as closely as I could, found no problems, so reinstalled without replacing. It's ultimately up to you, but if they're still good, I'd reuse. No clips were broken or damaged in my removal and reinstall.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
The swingarm bearings should be just fine, the FD pivots are most likely "notchy" as I have not removed a drive that they were not. Even my 05 at 38K. I have seen a broken clip in the drive shaft end that goes on the rear drive but it was on a low mileage spare that I bought (don't know how the PO broke it). All the active ones I have taken apart were just fine as well as the boots.
Make sure you have a good 14 mm socket for the swingarm pivot pins.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
.... and a long breaker bar or a 2' piece of pipe to extend the lever arm of your ratchet. Those suckers are on there tight!

Loren

jzeiler said:
The swingarm bearings should be just fine, the FD pivots are most likely "notchy" as I have not removed a drive that they were not. Even my 05 at 38K. I have seen a broken clip in the drive shaft end that goes on the rear drive but it was on a low mileage spare that I bought (don't know how the PO broke it). All the active ones I have taken apart were just fine as well as the boots.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses.

Thanks John for the advice on the socket. I have a set of 6 point Snap On impact sockets. So, should be ok there.

I'm going on my last long trip this year on the bike in two weeks. I'll then send my rear drive to Curtis. Hopefully, doing the installation in Nov. or Dec.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
CharlieVT said:
If asked, I press in new pivot bearings when doing a final drive.
Just have to add the cost of the bearings.
+1
Like most I am very skiddish of the oem needle bearings. Make certain that they are all in place when you go to put it all back together. I replaced mine with the bonze bushings (?) it may be just a piece of mind, but $110 its just another item on the beast...

And...
I have a set of 6 point Snap On impact sockets. So, should be ok there.
have a spare on hand, and not the 12 point....I've heard that our very own "master mechanic" has broken a few of those... :rotf:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
Actually it was not an impact but just a really nice chrome, flank-drive, snapon socket. The impacts should do better, at least that was the starting core for the really nice one that Saddleman made for me.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
jzeiler said:
Removing my swingarm today. Broke a 14mm impact socket. Cheap one. Got a better one and finally got it loose. Could not get it with my 1/2 air impact set at 275 ft/lbs.
took a 3ft cheater on my breaker bar and more effort than I should be doing.

dan

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
See post number 5 above .... and a long breaker bar or a 2' piece of pipe to extend the lever arm of your ratchet. Those suckers are on there tight!

Change 2' piece of pipe to 3' piece of pipe. Amazing how tight those suckers are on there! Glad you got 'em off

Loren

DanMartin said:
Removing my swingarm today. Broke a 14mm impact socket. Cheap one. Got a better one and finally got it loose. Could not get it with my 1/2 air impact set at 275 ft/lbs.
took a 3ft cheater on my breaker bar and more effort than I should be doing.

dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts