BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning the rear wheel this weekend and I noticed quite a bit of play in the swingarm. I don't remember it being there before this. It is not the final drive bearing (crown) but seems to be either at the front or rear end of the axle. The entire swingarm seems to be moving. I'm calling the mechanic this morning and will get him to check it. But it is noticeable and new.

Any collective wisdom to offer?

Thanks once again!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
There should be no play in either joint. If the last time it was apart it was put back together properly with the correct pre-load, then I would suspect a damaged bearing. These are small tapered (almost needle) roller bearings and are prone to wear since they don't move much and absorb impact loads.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Play in the swingarm

c00k1e said:
Sure it isnt at the joint of the FD and the shaft?
It does seem like it might be the joint at the final drive assembly. I need to spend more time looking at it. I recently (500 miles ago) had the slave/clutch replaced and the entire drive assembly was apart.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
No play in either swing arm joint is acceptable. Sounds like damaged final drive pivot bearings. Get them fixed now.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
drifter36 said:
It does seem like it might be the joint at the final drive assembly. I need to spend more time looking at it. I recently (500 miles ago) had the slave/clutch replaced and the entire drive assembly was apart.
If you ride it like that, it may well break your FD. This is a tow job and urgent fix.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Swing arm joint

Thanks all for the info. The bike goes into the shop on Friday...will provide an update after repairs.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts