BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to upgrade the suspension on the old girl. I've been researching possible options and talked to the local shop as well as Ted Porter's BeemerShop. Casey at Ted Porter's recommends TFX over Ohlins and Wilbers. Anyone here have any experience with TFX? Also, what is the collective wisdom regarding progressive springs vs. linear rate springs? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm needing an upgrade as well. The answers to the above will be helpful. Awhile ago I put taller shocks on my 1150gs; can I do the same on the LT, maybe increasing travel and height at the same time?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I am running the TFX from Ted and I like it. One advantage over some others is the rear preload adjust has a whopping 15mm movement and am told by ted that the adjuster mechanism to alter the preload is more robust than the Ohlins and is less likely to blow out. It is a good shock IMO. I can recommend it. I believe it also has a longer rebuild interval.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Is it the shock itself or just springs you want to replace?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm doing the shocks and springs, front and rear. To me, It seems that just springs is just a temporary fix since the shocks will need to be replaced soon anyway. I have about 60 thousand miles on the OEM springs and shocks and from everyone I've talked to, the original springs are soft anyway and the shocks only last about 30 thousand (depending on who you talk to, the mileage varies).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm also looking to replace suspension on my 04' (53K). I recently did a fairly thorough search of this forum going back several years and Wilburs were the clear favorite. The general complaints on Ohlins were the rebuild interval was short. I also talked to someone at the Beemershop back in March about all three brands and he very much favored the Wilburs. Based on all that, I was planning to do Wilburs soon but I'll be interested to hear about recent experiences from others on this topic.

//Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my new TFX suspension on Thursday and installed it on Friday. I took my first ride on the new suspension on Saturday. I noticed the difference as soon as I took it off the center stand as it now sits a couple inches higher than it used to. A huge difference in handling and much firmer and easier to hold the line in the curves :yeah:(confirmation bias maybe? I doubt it but...). Well worth the expense. My only issue with the TFX is that the pre-load adjuster is longer than the original and didn't fit in the space of the old one so I had to mount it in a different location. No big deal. Can't wait to load her up and take an extended trip!

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I bought Wilburs at Ted Porter’s suggestion and he set them up. Here is my experience:

Pros:
1. Higher ride height making centerstand use easier (even with EHCS).
2. Much stiffer ride, particularly in the front.

Cons:
1. Much stiffer ride, particularly in the front.

Neither here no there:
1. I noticed no real difference in handling other than that due to the higher ride height. I no longer drag the centerstand nearly as often riding two up, but otherwise I saw no difference in handling.

Knowing what I know now, I would have simply replaced the rear spring to get better ride height and kept the less harsh ride of the stock suspension. The LT is almost uncomfortably firm now riding solo.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
500 Posts
My LT has 42k km or 26k miles.
When should I be thinking about suspensión changes.
The info about the rear spring would be great. Just replacing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm thinking same on just springs. Did a search for Hyperpro and found pretty positive reviews on this forum. As for mileage, I see a lot of range and opinion. Some say for sure do at 25K miles, and others 125K miles, so I suppose it comes down to usage and riding style

·
Registered
343 Posts

Replacing OEM springs with Hyperpro Progressives will always be better unless your shocks are shot. I just recently did mine resulting in a very appreciable difference. It’s as much of a necessity as steel beaded brake lines (also done).

Reactions: MH-King

·
Registered
152 Posts
I (sort of recently) purchased a 99 and I first rode the k1200lt around 2000 and was very impressed with the performance for such a big bike. When I picked up my 99 I felt like it was a different bike. Big and wallowing. I got around to purchasing a set of ohlins and had them rebuilt. Then went through the process of installing them and the bike is once again tight and precise like I remember.
With such a big heavy bike it's important to have good bushings, good brakes and good shocks
It keeps the bike working together...in unison

·
Registered
29 Posts
You are walking the same path....Are we twin sons from different mothers....!?
Ok, maybe not,.... but if you are asking about suspension then this site has some of the best firsthand analysis of experiences with different set-ups.

I am also swapping in a whole new suspension set-up. I have reviewed the collective wisdom of the ancients and progressive beats linear in every aspect unless you enjoy retrofitting your machine EXACTLY as it was when it came off the factory floor.

Ohlins, while a superior product, also has a superior price tag. It works wonderfully until it doesn't and "Depending on your riding style, terrain, and how much your partner enjoys cheesecake" it could need new springs in a couple years. I do not know how you answered the list above but I am sure that you don't want stare at the possible prison sentence that is changing suspension every two years. Hyperpro is a superior Spring (points to Klaus and smiles) and has an amazing shock design, AND it costs a little less and lasts more than a little longer.

But that is one silly riders opinion...but DO some searches on this site and you will find a brethren who cares for his machine as much as you do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting to hear another rider mention a new front Ohlins making the bike stiff. I have noticed the same thing. It seemed very good when I did a week long trip with my wife but solo (180lb rider) it is significantly stiffer.
I am wondering if anyone has adjusting the preload and if that helped. Not exactly fun to reach up in there to turn the lock rings but I spend more time solo then two up.
I may end up just spending a ride pulling over and making some adjustments to see.

·
Registered
500 Posts

I can’t believe it’s been over two years and the big girl has only 44k km...
need to ride it more !!!
Big(ish) trip from Nicaragua to Cancún coming up. I might take her.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts