BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what folks who are getting the high mileage on their tires are running for suspension setting & setup (bags/trunk/etc)?
I'm on my 3rd set of tires in 8200 miles and I don't ride particularly aggressive. First set was stock Bridgestones and they lasted 4200. The most recent was Conti Motions which I just had replaced with PR3's. The Conti's probably would have gone another couple thousand BUT I needed fresh rubber on for a trip.
I've recently been running the RT in the Two up setting, normal, ESA setting rather than bouncing between two-up and single w/luggage. I always have the saddlebags and trunk on the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I am not terribly convinced that suspension setting nor load (withing "normal" limits) has very much to do with tire wear.

I think the wear and mileage you mention has more to do with tire brand/compound than anything else, except the WAY you ride. Aggressive, extra fast touring and twisty rides on rough surfaces etc could possibly/remotely aggravate tire consumption... but again under "normal" conditions... its the tire.

I used to eat-up Avon Storms like they were popcorn. They were excellent in the corners and felt like glue all the time, but wore really fast. Not much different than your numbers.

I also went to Michelin, PR2's and had and still have great experiences with them. The PR3's ought to be even better.

Its the tires, not the shocks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I used to get circa 8k from PR2's tho the front was cupping from 5k onwards.
I've tried a few different makes since then, Michys do seem the best for wear/verses handling, exception being that front on mine from 5k onwards.
I didn't like the 023's, rear lasted 6k, front still ongoing at around 7 or 8k but badly shaped.

I've a spare set of wheels with new Conti Road Attacks on, not expecting big mileage, but interested to see what a single compound does on the front.
Z8 now on the rear, Z8 front will be fitted later this year when Conti's have worn out.
I'll likel try PR3's again for this winter, but only got 5k from the first PR3 front I tried when they first came out. Evenly worn down to 1mm all over, but only 5k from it.

I've Wilbers fitted, ride is medium to hard, no wallow when pushing on, and I do push on and use the throttle as I thikg it should be.
hth
\v/

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just changed from the original Bridgestones to PR3 at 8000 mi. About half the miles were two up, ESA on 2 up, shocks on comfort. The other half of the miles were 1 up with the ESA set to 1 up, and the shocks set to normal. The 2 up riding was fairly conservative and to 1 up was moderately aggressive. The bike has a 49L top case and 2 side bags all of the time. One side bag is always full. When 2 up, the other side case and top case are generally full. I got just about the mileage I was expecting given what others on the forum have reported and how I ride.

I don't have any idea why you tires wear out so fast. I would be interesting to know.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I was checking the tire pressure on the bike today and while spinning the rear tire, noticed some threads showing through in a few spots, right down the center of the tire (shows you how much aggressive leaning I do). I have 13000 km on the bike (8125 miles). I am wondering if I should stick with these tires, Conti Road Attacks, or move to the Michelin PR3's which seems to be what most people are recommending. I am not real aggressive rider, just wondering if the 8100 miles are about the best I can expect, or will the Michelin do even better.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
skydiver said:
I was checking the tire pressure on the bike today and while spinning the rear tire, noticed some threads showing through in a few spots, right down the center of the tire (shows you how much aggressive leaning I do). I have 13000 km on the bike (8125 miles). I am wondering if I should stick with these tires, Conti Road Attacks, or move to the Michelin PR3's which seems to be what most people are recommending. I am not real aggressive rider, just wondering if the 8100 miles are about the best I can expect, or will the Michelin do even better.

Thanks in advance.
I've gone through two sets of PR2s, got 18K and 15K respectively (I should have changed the first ones at around 15K). I put on PR3s and am expecting similar. It's a wonderful tire.

If you have threads showing, change 'em!

JayJay

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've yet to spring for PR 3's. I've had such good luck with the 2's I just haven't sprung for the extra bucks.

I ride one up. 80% of the time I'm loaded with gear. Most of the time I'm on normal, once in a great while on comfort and maybe 20% of the time on sport. Our little group avoids interstates like the plague and we find all the twisty roads we can. Average day is 350-500 miles. I would like to say we ride aggressively and maybe we do, but any sport bike rider would probably blow right past us.

I usually change my tires out at around 8000-10000 miles. Sometimes it's early but if a 3500 mile ride is staring you in the face I don't want to have to get a new tire on the trip.

The rear is always more worn than the front. I say screw it and get them both. I don't push it when it comes to tire wear and fresh tires are always fun.

I run 39 psi front and 42 rear. Perhaps 30% of the roads around here are chip seal which contributes to tire wear. Cupping is a non issue. I will probably get the 3's next time around just because the tread pattern is so freaking cool.

My .02.

bob

·
Registered
391 Posts
hopz said:
I am not terribly convinced that suspension setting nor load (withing "normal" limits) has very much to do with tire wear.

I think the wear and mileage you mention has more to do with tire brand/compound than anything else, except the WAY you ride. Aggressive, extra fast touring and twisty rides on rough surfaces etc could possibly/remotely aggravate tire consumption... but again under "normal" conditions... its the tire.

I used to eat-up Avon Storms like they were popcorn. They were excellent in the corners and felt like glue all the time, but wore really fast. Not much different than your numbers.

I also went to Michelin, PR2's and had and still have great experiences with them. The PR3's ought to be even better.

Its the tires, not the shocks.
I just put my second PR3 on the rear wheel. The first went 13,500 miles. Pressure was always kept at 42 psi, solo rider. Can't tell you about the front, a piece of freeway debris caused a blowout at about 5,000 miles. BTW, they tolerate the extreme summer time pavement temps very well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
skydiver said:
Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the post, you've helped me in my decision to try a Conti Road Attack 2 or not.
Seeing you got only only 8k with moderate riding style this helps me decide against replacing my worn out Conti Road Attack(1?) which was shot at only 5k miles. The front is wearing fairly well at 6k at the moment. but I'm currently using the Metz Z8 on the rear. as I have a new Z8 on my spare wheel I will likely get another rear Z8 on my spare rear wheel.
The Z8's have come out just in front of the PR3 in some road test of the tyre, so I would expect for my riding style to get around 9k from a set of these. BTW, I only got 7k rear 5k front from PR3's the only time I tried them, went back to PR2's for a session, I used to get circa 8k from PR2's.
Most fronts on my RT12 seem to go off and change shape at around 5k normally.
42R 37F, fairly aggressive riding on occasion some might say.

Oh and BTW, sports bike riders blowing past us?
I find they hold me up ;)
Yamaha R1 / BMW R1200RT

·
Registered
287 Posts
Teach said:
I'm on my 3rd set of tires in 8200 miles and I don't ride particularly aggressive.
This mileage sounds way too low to me if you don't ride aggressively. I don't think it is the suspension. I would check your tire pressure.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Originally Posted by Teach said:
I'm on my 3rd set of tires in 8200 miles and I don't ride particularly aggressive.
Ozonewanderer said:
This mileage sounds way too low to me if you don't ride aggressively. I don't think it is the suspension. I would check your tire pressure.
I would agree three sets of tyres in 8200 miles is pretty bad however, one has to ask a few questions.

1. At what point does Teach change his tyres out? Some change out at the reccomended 2mm, some at 3mm. Personally I wait till I just kiss the 1mm marker but I get through 3 sets a year and have to budget.

2. What tyres? I ran a Michelin pilot sport once as I got a set cheap, rear was toast in 3500 miles!

3. What the state of the road/temperature. If you ride on aggressively surfaced roads in higher temps, you'll get great grip and high wear.

4. What pressures, to low and the tyre will run hotter increasing wear.

5. Is the rider one for using the box to lose road speed in lower gear (OK we all know we shouldn't use the gearbox to lose speed aggressively, gentle speed changes yes, but dropping a or two gear to scrub off speed, no.) This increases the wear on the rear as weight transfers to front and rear slips.

6. What is "particuarly aggressive"? I don't consider my riding particuarly aggressive (see vid above)

\v/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.