BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 non-esa RT, so I am just wondering if there are any general settings for riding 2 up and also riding 2 up fully loaded?
When I ride solo I have the spring preload and damping in the normal position.
I weigh 85 Kgs and my wife weighs 60 Kgs.
When my wife comes along and when we bring luggage, I dont know how much to adjust the suspension, so any advice on general settings would be appreciated, without getting too technical and having to take various measurements?

·
Registered
158 Posts
corrcullen said:
I have a 2005 non-esa RT, so I am just wondering if there are any general settings for riding 2 up and also riding 2 up fully loaded?
When I ride solo I have the spring preload and damping in the normal position.
I weigh 85 Kgs and my wife weighs 60 Kgs.
When my wife comes along and when we bring luggage, I dont know how much to adjust the suspension, so any advice on general settings would be appreciated, without getting too technical and having to take various measurements?
We have a non ESA 2006 and ride two up fully loaded most of the time. When I say fully loaded I mean both side and top cases. We usually keep stuff in the top case and a small cooler (summer time) in the side case with a few tools in the other case. Not all the time but some of the time we also pull a single wheel Unigo trailer. As far as the shock adjustment its close to it's upper limits. I have really never adjusted the thing since we first got the bike. I would say also that what adjustment you do would also depend on the road conditions. If your on a road that's really bumpy and you have it set to soft you could bottom out. What I have it set out now we've never had a bottoming out issue and the ride is smooth. I weight about 200 and my SO about 110 pounds. When I first got the bike here's what I did. I ran the adjustment down all the way and then counted the revolutions it took to get to the highest setting. I don't remember how many it took but I think you get the idea. If it took 20 turns to get to the highest setting than 10 would be half and so on and so on. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I also have a non-ESA 2005

When I get ready for a more heavily loaded trip, 2-up and lots of baggage, I crank in about two more turns on Preload. After the trip I return it to what I call "normal".

In either case I am looking for a setting that does not have a lot or bouncy rebound from bumps and undulations in the road surface nor a harshness.

You might have to experiment some to find your happy spot and then deviate (adjust) from there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hopz said:
I also have a non-ESA 2005

When I get ready for a more heavily loaded trip, 2-up and lots of baggage, I crank in about two more turns on Preload. After the trip I return it to what I call "normal".

In either case I am looking for a setting that does not have a lot or bouncy rebound from bumps and undulations in the road surface nor a harshness.

You might have to experiment some to find your happy spot and then deviate (adjust) from there.
Thanks hopz, what about the damping on the shock absorber, would you turn that clockwise much with the screwdriver?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I have mine in the middle and have never felt/sensed the need to tinker with it.

I have to admit that I have a difficult time with setting the shocks... those that can be adjusted. I read all the arcane literature and my head glosses over.

This is just for me... but I put the dampening in the middle and fuss with the preload. so far it works for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.