BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Folks,

I have a 15 LE with dynamic ESA, I am sitting at 33k miles so I imagine my suspension could be doing with some fresh oil really.
Can the shock absorbers be sent away and serviced? Do they need to be at this sort of age and miles?

This is my first experience with electronic suspension so I am curious coming from conventional cartridge type forks.

Cheers,
Kyle

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Unless you detect any leaks/seepage - no maintenance is required.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
My '08RT felt like I was riding "the rubber cow" at 32k and I replaced the front and rear with Ohlins, that transformed the bike into a correctly connected with the road bike . $1000

My '13 K1600GT was telegraphing every road crack and was vague while cornering hard, so I replace the stock ESA shocks with Wilburs ESA conversions at 12k and that bike inspired confidence and removed the numb feeling in the twisties. $1300

My '16RTW with Dynamic ESA had been doing well until around 50k when it started feeling a little squishy on the rear only. I changed the rear for an original BMW Dynamic ESA shock with less than 4k miles on it from a salvage bike and it restored the ride back to NEW for only about $125

It takes pretty good familiarity with your bike to really feel the degraded ride and performance change with regard to how "it used to be".

Changing out the rear shock took about an hour and I did nothing more than recalibrate the ESA in the GS-911…and I probably could have just ridden it with out doing that…

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts