BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all,

im currently thinking of replacing my 2008 K1200 LT front and rear shocks. My bike has 28K miles on the clock and i "feel" its time for a replacement. For the rear is just simple to replace the complete shock but what i dont understand is the front end;

I was thinking to replace the front shock with Ohlins but will this be enough? I couldnt find a replacement for the forks. Do i have to replace/rebuild the front forks/internal parts also?

How does the Telelevel really works? :confused:

thanx.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Just replace the shocks. Nothing to worry about with the forks.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
You can do as many on here have done... Replace the springs with HyperPro springs. Is much less expensive than shocks and is reported to yield a great ride.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
deputy5211 said:
You can do as many on here have done... Replace the springs with HyperPro springs. Is much less expensive than shocks and is reported to yield a great ride.
+1. I didn't want to hijack th OP's thread, but I have the HyperPro springs, and love them. Put them on oem shocks with 25K miles. Like riding rails.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanx for all the info,

now I'm making second thoughts on buying the ohlins and I'm leaning to just replace the spings. Can you recommend any shop which sells the hyperpros and is willing to send abroad?

did you replace both front and rear, any revalving needed?

·
Registered
93 Posts
SOULMAN203 said:
hello to all,

im currently thinking of replacing my 2008 K1200 LT front and rear shocks. My bike has 28K miles on the clock and i "feel" its time for a replacement. For the rear is just simple to replace the complete shock but what i dont understand is the front end;

I was thinking to replace the front shock with Ohlins but will this be enough? I couldnt find a replacement for the forks. Do i have to replace/rebuild the front forks/internal parts also?

How does the Telelevel really works? :confused:

thanx.

Why would you replace the shocks on a 4 year old bike with only 28K miles?? :confused: Unless they are blown, leaking or somehow not functioning, I would leave them alone for another 25K miles or more.

Now, if you want a different performance level....have at it! ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought this bike two months ago second hand with 27K miles on the clock and from day one i felt like the suspension was too soft and the ride not smooth.

This is my second LT i own and my previous was a 2001 model (which i sold in 2006 :( ) and from what i remember the feeling from riding was better, i remember i could even follow some friends with sportiest bikes than the LT. With my new bike i feel that is too soft even though i turn the rear adjuster all the way in the feeling is not what i remember from my previous LT.

Unfortunately here in Cyprus there are only 2-3 other LTs on the roads so its difficult to find someone and compare the ride.

Have in mind that my other current bike is an APRILIA RSV4 Factory which is way too hard and maybe, in my mind, im compairing too different things :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts