BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 LT with 24K miles. Last summer the adjuster for the rear suspension broke. The bike immeadiately went to the lowest adjustment and with my wife and I leaving for a trip it was a major problem. The dealer took care of it on short notice and all was well.

(The assembly I am refering to is the adjustment unit beneath the seat that pivots up for rear suspension adjustment and then pivots back down for the seat to close)

The initial symptom was the adjuster knob got more and more difficult to turn and then it finally gave out and broke. I now have 4 weeks left on the warranty and it "feels" like the adjuster is getting more difficult to turn. Had it into the dealer and was told "no problem found".

My dealer tells me that the entire shock must be replaced when the assembly fails.?.? The assembly has a connector on the end of the hydraulic line and that doesn't (in my mind) make sense.

Question one: Can the tension adjuster assembly be replaced on its own when and if it fails again?

Question two: How difficult should the adjustment knob be to turn?

Question three: If I tried one on a new bike in the showroom, should I expect it to be similar to mine?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ajuster

Last year, the same thing happened to mine (05), the ajuster became very hard to turn, then something fell from the knob that immediately dissapeared in the depths of the beast. I took the ajuster knob (phillips screw) off to find a badly wounded spring that used to live, probably with it's friend, a ball bearing (the one that got away), inside the body of the ajuster. I discarded all of those and the knob became very easy to turn. It does not tend to loosen or anything, maybe you can fix yours also?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yeah mine got weird and I took the little phillips screw out and pulled the knob. The ball bearing went missing and I replaced it with a BB. It's just there to give the adjuster a "click". I apparently had tried to screw the adjuster too far and was just turning the knob and stripping it out.

If the dealer is willoing to replace the shock, by all means let them.

Otherwise keep trying for a suitable solution.

Randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts