BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Over the lasy couple of days I have noticed a slight smell of petrol on my right boot. I suspect I have a fuel leak which I can't find without removing the panelling...obviously. How easy/difficult is it to get the side panel off and should I remover the lower engine cover? Is the leak more likely to be a dried out hose or a lose clamp?

Thanks in advance, Martin

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Remove the tip over cover & upper side fairing. The leak is most likely the Quick Disconnect is broken. Replace them with metal ones like THESE

·
Registered
593 Posts
This is a fairly simple job with just basic hand tools required. I had to make this repair on my 05 when i first got it and it took me longer to remove and re-install the "tupperware" than to make the actual repair.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
With an electric screw driver it goes pretty fast.

Bob

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I can seem to find any appropriate QD connectors in 5/16¨ where I live.

Would fitting a straight through double ended male connector be unreasonsable until I can get the proper fittings?

Did the 1999 model actually have QDs fitted? I read on the thread indicated above that the Y2K model didn't have them.

I really don't know why you'd want QD fittings anyway, it's not as if you can whip the tank off in a jiffy!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I've used copper tubing. I had it laying around along with a tool to cut it.

00s did not come with QDs.

I installed them when I had to remove the tank to replace the fuel filter.

Bob

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
they prevent fuel from escaping when you need to remove the tank to get to the air filter shouldn't be a problem if you want them straight through, just keep that cigar in the box till your in the house :D

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
The proper fittings have quick disconnect valves in them. When you disconnect the lines just a few drops of gas gets out of the fittings - nothing a rag cannot absorb. Without the valves your gas tank would drain. Now the home mechanic in us would say to pinch the lines. However most shops and good mechanics will not do this as you may rupture a line after repeated use. Plus taking the tank off you would have vise grips banging all over!!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
My 2000 Did NOT have QD's but just a 2 inch long plastic tube. I saves them for backups when I installed the QD's

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I investigated my suspected fuel leak. Those BMW engineers really did consider how much money their mechanics could squeeze out of their customers! I took nearly half an hour just to get the side cover off. I didn’t count how many screws there were but I know there were a lot. In the end the leak was coming from the return (?) line. It was not that easy to detect and I had to move the fuel lines around with the engine running to be about to locate the leak.

The culprit was a loose hose clamp. I suspect it came loose through vibration; after all, it’d been there for just over 12 years! At this point it is worth noting that the 1999 K1200LT does not have QD connectors on the fuel lines. There are only two simple plastic pipes, which will be swapped over for brass ones in the not-too-distant future. I bought them today but decided not to change them as I had just over half a tank of petrol which I’d have to drain first and I’m none too keen on losing any off it...it doesn’t come cheap anyway!

If someone could explain how, I’ll post a picture should anyone be interested.

A big thank you to everyone who helped to solve this minor but potentially catastrophic problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Axle said:
they prevent fuel from escaping when you need to remove the tank to get to the air filter shouldn't be a problem if you want them straight through, just keep that cigar in the box till your in the house :D
I think you mean fuel filter you do not have to remove tank to get at the air filter.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
WAL said:
I think you mean fuel filter you do not have to remove tank to get at the air filter.
Now where did you learn THAT? :histerica Please tell the rest of us since we have been so stupid to remove the tank in order to get to the air filter? Are we talking about LT now?

Regards

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Although I never do it Ari, I have heard some say that they were able to pull the tank back, or lift the front of it up enough to change the Air Filter. Really a bother if you have anything else you want to do while it is off though. And the QD's make removal the easiest part of getting the tank off & back on!

John
pozo_izquierdo said:
Now where did you learn THAT? :histerica Please tell the rest of us since we have been so stupid to remove the tank in order to get to the air filter? Are we talking about LT now?

Regards

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just finished installing the Beemer Boneyard quick disconnects last week.
(I got tired or making a fuel mess when removing the tank)
I had to lengthen the pressure hose a few inches to get the QD's to sit in their little space correctly.
Here's a few photo's of the finished product.

P.S. I think that it would be easier to remove the tank all together, than to try to squeeze under it to change the air filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
Although I never do it Ari, I have heard some say that they were able to pull the tank back, or lift the front of it up enough to change the Air Filter. Really a bother if you have anything else you want to do while it is off though. And the QD's make removal the easiest part of getting the tank off & back on!

John
Pardon my limited imagination and language problem! Having had the Quick Connectors since new it never even came to my mind that somebody would first bother removing the driver's seat frame, then removing the tank fastening bolts, unhooking the fuel gauge socket, disconnecting the rubber overfill vent hoses as well as the fuel pump connector and then leave the tank hanging from the fuel lines just to change the air filter!
In my terms, I would call this REMOVING the tank even if you don't physically move the tank away from the bike.

I know that in order to be able to synchronize and adjust the fuel injention the tail part of the tank has to be lifted so that a technician can reach the adjustment screws in the intake manifold as he keeps thebike running.
As a result of this we broke one of the plastic (old) type of quick connectors...Now I have the metals ones but it still taught me to be careful with applying force or bending to them.

Regards

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had the same thing on the way back to Illinois from Redmond, OR rally. I was in the middle of Montana with gas leaking all over my boot. We stopped at a motel, and stayed for the night. In the morning, I got up and tore the "light truck" apart, and found the leaking quick connects. I had to get up very early and work on it in the parking lot, because with it being just a few weeks before Sturgis, there were a bunch of Harley riders there. I couldn't let them see me working on a BMW. :deadhorse (god forbid) Spliced gas line with copper to get me by until I got home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts