BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to the survey results I compiled from the 94 responses that came in.

Survey Results

Got 18 comments, too. Some are amusing.

Thanks for participating.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Very nice survey and the presentation was well done also!

Thanks!

Loren

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Nice job Stu. Thanks for putting that together. Interesting results. :cool:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Great Job Stu...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not dropped mine yet.

Upset it once in the garage and it pinned me against the wall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
had too much trouble navigating the web page got pizzed off and gave up. guess i dont care what the results are i just know i havent droped a bike or laid one down 38 years and over a million miles. i'm 54 years old have had four total hip replacements and one knee surgury you all need to learn how to ride before getting on a bike like an LT. If the truth hurts so be it i am 6'5" tall and weigh in at 225 :dance: :bmw:

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry you had trouble with it, Bob.
In a nutshell, 16% of folks have never dropped their bikes. 17.7% if I include you and Foodle in that number. So it's not everyone. And 1/2 of those how did drop it did so in the first month of ownership, most commonly in the driveway or during a slow speed turn.

A third dropped it with a passenger onboard. I'm sure that went well for them!

One number I was surprised by, though, is that 45% have owned their LTs for 0-2 years. Maybe the secret's getting out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Does it count if you drop someone elses? :eek: :wow: Well, it wasn't really a drop....it was more like the bike decided to recline for a nap! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
That was a great survey and a great presentation.

I have had my LT for a week now and I almost dropped it the day after I got it. I went to put down the center stand and didn't pay attention to the condition of the pavement, it was uneven, I didn't realize it until the center stand touched down. When it started to lift the bike the bike immediately went sideways, I panicked and let off of the center stand button. When I did that she came down leaning hard to the right. It all happened in about 1 sec. It's all I could do to keep it up and actually strained my back with the effort.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well i will admit that the LT is not a bike for a novice. But it is dam sure the nicest ride i ever threw a leg over. You dam sure need to pay your dues before you ride an LT it is a beast at low speeds. I have been rideing BMW's for 38 years i've seen alot of changes but the one that blowed my mind was when BMW came out with a chain drive bike. I have seen where guys list there previous bikes on there profile i have owened close to a hundred bikes over the years of all different makes and models to sum it up if it has 2 wheels i have proubably rode it . But computters make me CRAZY.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Good work, Stu. Just give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around - didn't realized that song was about LT's.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
It is interesting to me how many of the criteria I met. I have dropped mine 3 times once with my adult daughter on back but never in a slow speed turn or any other "maneuver". Mine have all been at a standstill. The first was a foot slip on sand, the second was at a complete stop with my brain WAY far away from what I was doing and the third the freakin' wind blew me over. If I had been moving I would not have experienced the 3rd drop.

At least it isn't hard to pick back up!

Loren

wArt said:
Sorry you had trouble with it, Bob.
In a nutshell, 16% of folks have never dropped their bikes. 17.7% if I include you and Foodle in that number. So it's not everyone. And 1/2 of those how did drop it did so in the first month of ownership, most commonly in the driveway or during a slow speed turn.

A third dropped it with a passenger onboard. I'm sure that went well for them!

One number I was surprised by, though, is that 45% have owned their LTs for 0-2 years. Maybe the secret's getting out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Right after getting my license I rented a Gold Wing. Dropped it 3 times the first day. Then I tried an RT, beautiful bike, no trouble. Tried a GT, also great but too much pep for me. Then I tried the LT and fell in love. Bought an '03 LT, first bike I ever owned, about the fourth bike I ever rode. Dropped it 3 times the first week I had it. Once more after a couple months. Then I got the hang of it. Still love the bike. I've discovered that this particular bike has a mind of its own. When it decides it wants to take a nap, like a horse or cow, nobody is going to tell it "no". :bmw: :bmw: :bmw:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Far be me removed from having not responded in a more timely manner............

Yes............I have dropped the [email protected] thing..........Yes............I can right it, (having watched the Reverend Munce's video..............

I live in the wilds............roads are not what the gument' says they should be...........

Here in BFE, we learn that we can deal with the little things............it's the simple things that make us happy................
'
You don't have to drop it to be 'one of the guys' .........and it really doesn't matter if you do.............it's just part of the jazz..................

if it happens, deal with it.....if it doesn't...........be proud...............it's just good to be able to deal with the drop that really makes a difference.................. ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nice report :)

As I wrote in another thread (was it the poll?) in 28 years of riding I dropped all of my bikes once, and usually not more than once or twice, so why would the LT make a difference??

It's a peculiar way that the bike has, to tell you: "I'm yours now" :rotf:

·
Registered
478 Posts
just got mine a month ago flew to reno & picked it up almost dumped it in first 15 ft with girlfriend and fully loaded with luggage, rode it home 1600 miles have had aprox 25 bikes i think i have now ridden the best motorcycle ever made. plan to keep it a very long time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts