BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 LT, 3100 miles, My wife and I are leaving on a 7 day trip and will cover about 2000 miles, so 2 up and fully loaded, highway speed. How much oil should I expect to consume? I packed a quart and a funnel....too much? Previous to the LT I was a RT guy. I have put about 500 miles on this LT and the oil level has stayed mid sight glass.

·
Registered
860 Posts
'06 - I carry about NIL pints of oil for the girl...

The newer model machines don't use a lot of oil. Get the level to just cover the site glass and do the scheduled when it due...

Ride on...

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
My wife and I have done several 4000+ mile trips on our 2007 LT and I have never had to add oil between changes. I run 20w50 Mobil 1 and change every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ditto. I use Mobil 1 synthetic and change it every 6000 miles. Never have to add a drop. Use the extra weight and space for something you'll need!!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Agree with all the above -- and the worst thing that can happen is that somewhere on the road you have to stop and buy a quart on the side of the road. If you need to do that, anything that is golden, slippery and about the right vicosity can be used. No harm will come from mixing the oils for the rest of the trip; just change it when you get home (not because you have to, but because it will be nagging at the back of your mind :)).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all! :)

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
The one indispensable item I carry relating to on-the-road-oil is a funnel or spout to bridge the gap from the tupperware to the fill hole. Although the paper funnels do the job OK, I keep a zip lock bag with a WallyWorld off/on spout that screws on to the oil container. And stay away from wide mouth oil cans.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Thumperjon said:
2009 LT, 3100 miles, My wife and I are leaving on a 7 day trip and will cover about 2000 miles, so 2 up and fully loaded, highway speed. How much oil should I expect to consume? I packed a quart and a funnel....too much? Previous to the LT I was a RT guy. I have put about 500 miles on this LT and the oil level has stayed mid sight glass.
Obviously, each engine is unique so I can't say for sure what your engine will do, but in general LT engines are not oil burners or leakers. My 2007 used a little oil at first and I think I added half a quart between one of the early oil changes, but since then I can easily go 5,000 miles and not add oil.

I carry the paper funnels that came with the bike, but have never used one. I never carry oil. if I need oil, I can get it almost anywhere. I only carry things I can't easily buy on the fly.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My LT is new also and more than double your milage. The only oil was at service intervals. Longest ride was a shade over 2000 miles and all OK, well I did go over the interval by 300 to get to my dealer. Heck if I had to take something with me it would be gas especially for this desert trip I intend on to southwest and CA.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
My '08 went 8,100 miles on a 3 1/2 week trip without having to add any oil. I put 4 qts.Mobile1 in at the change and never add. I know I ran over but do not feel that one time is going to kill her. At 48,500 she uses no oil. My '05 went 80,000 and never had oil added between 6,000 services.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The best way to insure you don't need to add oil on the trip is to carry that quart along.

Jeff D

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Have never added oil between changes.

When I rode a Harley, I carried a quart. Find I no longer need to do that with a BMW.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Roamrider said:
The best way to insure you don't need to add oil on the trip is to carry that quart along.

Jeff D
Although there might be some truth to that kind of logic, where do you "draw the line" :confused:

he's talking about a 2000 mile trip, to most of us here on this forum that's 2-4 days of riding
there's bound to be a Wallmart or auto parts store along the way, somewhere
if you're that paranoid about having everything you might possibly need with you at all times,

why not have a friend follow you with a support truck and trailer, you know just in case,
I've heard there are certain types of bike "riders" that always do that? :p

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
Although there might be some truth to that kind of logic, where do you "draw the line" :confused:

he's talking about a 2000 mile trip, to most of us here on this forum that's 2-4 days of riding
there's bound to be a Wallmart or auto parts store along the way, somewhere
if you're that paranoid about having everything you might possibly need with you at all times,

why not have a friend follow you with a support truck and trailer, you know just in case,
I've heard there are certain types of bike "riders" that always do that? :p
Hans, I think it was toung n' cheek, you know, if you buy a tire plug kit you never get a flat, don't buy it and Murphy comes to visit! :D

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
gunny said:
Have never added oil between changes.

When I rode a Harley, I carried a quart. Find I no longer need to do that with a BMW.
Was that so you could pour a small puddle under it every time you parked it? :rotf:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
Hans, I think it was toung n' cheek, you know, if you buy a tire plug kit you never get a flat, don't buy it and Murphy comes to visit! :D
I understand that Joe, I was being my usual smartass self,
certain things like tools (including a tire plug kit) money or a credit card I don't leave home without,
but the stuff that you can buy just about anywhere I get when I need it,
tires rarely go flat in a Wallmart or bike shop's parking lot
but I can easily ride to one when I'm down a quart of oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts