BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been tossing around an idea about an additional LED indicator for the anti-theft system on my 2005 LT. Dash panel has a flashing indicator to show system status.

Does anyone know where to tap into the wiring for this? Location and wire colors would be great.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
Easiest place is pin 9 on the 12 pin connector at the alarm - look for a Yellow/Red wire. This wire provides a ground for the LED in the dash.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
jzeiler said:
Easiest place is pin 9 on the 12 pin connector at the alarm - look for a Yellow/Red wire. This wire provides a ground for the LED in the dash.
Awesome... Thank you, John.

To make sure I understand this, are you saying that the + side of the LED can be "always on" and that, in this case, it is the ground that is closed and opened by the alarm control unit?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
That is what I interpret from the drawing. But I just double checked and it is the other way around. The other end of the LED is to signal 31 which is ground. So the LED is powered by that wire. I didn't blow up the image far enough to see the - turn into a +.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tap into the yellow/red wire on pin 9 of 12 from the alarm and run that to positive lead of LED, right?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
That should do it. Guess you are wanting it to be seen as "armed" by others passing by.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct. Was thinking of putting the supplemental LEDs where the otherwise useless "parking lamps" are, as well as a location on the LP mount. Final location(s) still to be thought out, but I wanted to be sure I could do this fairly easily before I put a whole lot of thought into where to best place the annunciators.

As always, thank you John. :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I tried tapping in using a PosiTap but the wire was so thin I could not get a reliable piercing. I ended up soldering it and providing plenty of strain relief.

Works like a champ... Thanks John... AGAIN!

Now I need to locate an LED with a wider emission angle for better visibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts