BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Super slab trip IA to NY

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gpolakow 
#1 ·
Leaving Monday morning and due to time constraints will be Superslab all the way. Still, I'm looking forward to it. The LT seems made for that kind of driving as well as the "other" kind. Still, any advice for the trip? things I should bring? Things to look out for? I'm headed to upstate NY an area north of ALbany -- pretty woodsy place.

#5 ·
Fluids.

On the long slab trips I have taken, water intake whilst motoring down the road is both a hydration necessity and a way to stay refreshed. I have Chicane tank bag with a water bladder. It works well. There are many other acceptable alternatives.

I have to say, that while I would much rather cover the back roads, the LT is an absolute beast on the slab. I think the engineers had expressways in mind when they designed the LT. If time is short, one can maximize the span on the LT. And it makes an otherwise boring drive fun.

#6 ·
wholland said:
Fluids.

On the long slab trips I have taken, water intake whilst motoring down the road is both a hydration necessity and a way to stay refreshed. I have Chicane tank bag with a water bladder. It works well. There are many other acceptable alternatives.

I have to say, that while I would much rather cover the back roads, the LT is an absolute beast on the slab. I think the engineers had expressways in mind when they designed the LT. If time is short, one can maximize the span on the LT. And it makes an otherwise boring drive fun.
Excellent advice and observation. Thanks.

#7 ·
Greg,

I did it in one day from Cedar Rapids to Syracuse last Sept on a Sunday. Just get an early start, by 6 or before. Keep stops short, use camel back for water, Ezay pass would be nice. NY only charges one half for bikes on the toll I 90. You are late for Americaide. www.tourexpo.com Take your anonymous book.

#8 · (Edited)
I just came back to CT from Sigourney couple weeks ago... I took I30 through Indiana (use to live in Ft wayne), and I30, 71 and 277 across Ohio... WIDE OPEN slab... lost maybe little more then an hour and still made it to the PA state line in 12 hours.... I80 thru Ohio BORING + the crazys + you miss 2 tolls... thats a fill up

There were more radar in Indiana then Ohio

Correction: 13 hours total time... forgot about the time change to EST

#9 ·
Take it easy. Any time you might save by going fast will be offset by the number of fuel stops required. While the LT has got to be the all time slab cruiser, as you turn up the wick, gas mileage REALLY drops. Oh yea, when you go really fast, you lose more time. How much time depends on how fast the cop writes.

Ride safe

#10 ·
doios said:
I just came back to CT from Sigourney couple weeks ago... I took I30 through Indiana (use to live in Ft wayne), and I30, 71 and 277 across Ohio... WIDE OPEN slab... lost maybe little more then an hour and still made it to the PA state line in 12 hours.... I80 thru Ohio BORING + the crazys + you miss 2 tolls... thats a fill up

There were more radar in Indiana then Ohio

Correction: 13 hours total time... forgot about the time change to EST
Cool, Sigourny's not that far from me. Thanks for the report.

#11 ·
hunter said:
Take it easy. Any time you might save by going fast will be offset by the number of fuel stops required. While the LT has got to be the all time slab cruiser, as you turn up the wick, gas mileage REALLY drops. Oh yea, when you go really fast, you lose more time. How much time depends on how fast the cop writes.

Ride safe
Good points. I'll keep it just fast enough to keep ahead of the general traffic. Don't like being overtaken by semi's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.