BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently I rode my new RT in 95+ weather for 500 miles. It was not fun as my seat was soaking wet. Yes, I beleive this is called "Monkey butt".

I had a look on-line and saw numerous posts about LD shorts. I may go that route but was wondering what other options were out there. Cost is not a factor.

Anyone have experience with the BMW underwear ?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Just be aware that almost all of the idiots making this stuff do not include a fly.
Even LD had a lousy design- a horizontal slit more up toward your navel rather than at the correct anatomical location. Also, they're better than cotton from a wicking viewpoint but mostly they're compression garments. Most are merely unpadded bicycle shorts..

Also see camping places for performance fabric inderwear.

For keeping your core cool see the Veskimo- it really works.....

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've tried a number of things. LD's are better than cotton undershorts, but I like Nike Combat Pro better than anything I have used. Got mine at Dick's. Also my bead rider seat cover is a necessity for me in 90+ degree heat. Provides a good air flow under my butt and helps keep drier.

·
IBR# 366
16,656 Posts
LDComfort

Quite simply, the material LDComfort uses is superior to anything else out there. I stay dry and comfortable from freezing temps to well over 100 degrees. It just plain works.

I have a couple pairs of Under Armor gear, as well as some off-brand stuff. They sit at home on the shelf, mostly due to the fact that they're always slipping down and the fact that they don't work well over a very wide temperature range. They're just not comfortable for the long haul, so they stay home. Cheaper doesn't matter if the product doesn't work.

My LDComfort stuff goes everywhere on the bike with me. Even for local trips as short as 2 hours or 100 miles, that's all I'll wear under my riding pants. And I have lived in them for weeks at a time while on the road, including a 2-week, 15,000 mile ride. All I need to carry is my LDComfort gear and one pair of jeans and a nice shirt in case I feel like going out to dinner one night. Simply put, this stuff works.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I use the LD's and they work as advertised. My only issue was, being a "boxer" guy, had to get used to a little tighter fit, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Been using the UNDER ARMOR brand.
Semi tight Brief fit but longer on leg like a boxer ....

Not tried others ? ... but real happy after 8 years using the same ;)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
motorhead said:
Been using the UNDER ARMOR brand.
Semi tight Brief fit but longer on leg like a boxer ....

Not tried others ? ... but real happy after 8 years using the same ;)
+1 Under Armor Boxer Brief

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
meese said:
LDComfort

Quite simply, the material LDComfort uses is superior to anything else out there. I stay dry and comfortable from freezing temps to well over 100 degrees. It just plain works.

I have a couple pairs of Under Armor gear, as well as some off-brand stuff. They sit at home on the shelf, mostly due to the fact that they're always slipping down and the fact that they don't work well over a very wide temperature range. They're just not comfortable for the long haul, so they stay home. Cheaper doesn't matter if the product doesn't work.

My LDComfort stuff goes everywhere on the bike with me. Even for local trips as short as 2 hours or 100 miles, that's all I'll wear under my riding pants. And I have lived in them for weeks at a time while on the road, including a 2-week, 15,000 mile ride. All I need to carry is my LDComfort gear and one pair of jeans and a nice shirt in case I feel like going out to dinner one night. Simply put, this stuff works.
+1, I don't ride as many mile as Ken, but concur with on every point he makes !!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
The LDC stuff is overpriced for what it is, especially given the ridiculous fly on them. Seriously, you have to wonder if the designers are familiar with the equipment that necessitates the use of a fly. I've had no issues riding in triple-digit temperatures and high humidity using either Under Armour or Ex Officio boxer briefs.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
I remember the first time I saw the LD Comfort shorts at the MOA rally in West Bend. Asked the girl if that was a coin pocket. She replied, "It is a pouch for your Joey". And she did it with a straight face. I have two pair, love them and my Joey is happy with the pouch as well!

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
05Train said:
The LDC stuff is overpriced for what it is, especially given the ridiculous fly on them. Seriously, you have to wonder if the designers are familiar with the equipment that necessitates the use of a fly. I've had no issues riding in triple-digit temperatures and high humidity using either Under Armour or Ex Officio boxer briefs.

What? The LD shorts and shirt are the bomb! The miles in the saddle all day and never crotch rot, monkey butt....... :histerica

Easy to wash in your room at night and dry the next morning.

The "joey" pouch, never used it, just pull 'em down and go to town! :histerica

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought the BMW summer underwear. It treats me well when it is hot, can't think of any downside. A friend of mine wears his mountainbike shorts with the padding. He says it keeps him dry and adds additional comfort on longer trips...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ended up picking up a pair of heat away underwear from Rider's Warehouse.
Better than cotton underwear but a bit tight in the "package" area. It may just be my seat pushing forward though.

Going to try out some technical fabric loose boxers next.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
jzeiler said:
I remember the first time I saw the LD Comfort shorts at the MOA rally in West Bend. Asked the girl if that was a coin pocket. She replied, "It is a pouch for your Joey". And she did it with a straight face. I have two pair, love them and my Joey is happy with the pouch as well!
I guess the key here is that your joey just has to have the distance. Ride 'em cowboy!

Just have to mention that as I write this it is 58* F and raining. It has been nearly 2 weeks since we have had rain. Man, I love this place!

Loren

·
Registered
189 Posts
My input is a bit off-season now, but somewhat after my last response mid-July, I ordered the beads for both seats. Comfortable is an understatement. The beads keep your butt cool, as if there was some ventilation between your seat and your butt. Totally satisfied and kept them on the seat till end of October.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts