BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm riding along on my new (to me) 2007 LT and suddenly and without a sound motor dies. Starter turns, electronics seem OKbut won't crank. Starter just spins. Had to leave it on the roadside last night. About to call a tow truck but wanted to post here first... is this fuel pump maybe? It was so smooth and sudden it seems like an electronic thing... fuses? any thoughts? anyone?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
sounds like maybe 2 problems the starter sprag is stuck and you may have a split fuel line on the pump inside the tank, time to get the spanners out!!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
sounds like... you may have a split fuel line on the pump inside the tank
+1, or a fuel line inside the tank slipped off of the filter.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I think you have more than one issue. Yes a open fuel line can cause the instant stop and the refusal of the starter to engage is from a dirty engagement mechanism.
A Clymers service manual will help you tremendously.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I'm riding along on my new (to me) 2007 LT and suddenly and without a sound motor dies. Starter turns, electronics seem OKbut won't crank. Starter just spins. Had to leave it on the roadside last night. About to call a tow truck but wanted to post here first... is this fuel pump maybe? It was so smooth and sudden it seems like an electronic thing... fuses? any thoughts? anyone?
When you say "starter just spins", do mean it just turns the motor over but doesn't start, or that it's spinning and not engaging the motor?

+Whatever on the suggestion of the fuel line slippage... It seems common to our bikes.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Possible the previous owner changed the fuel filter and did not use the proper clamps, hose, or tighten the clamps properly. If you don't know, while your in there install a new filter. There is a link for the sprag clutch:
Starter sprag clutch problems in BMW motorcycles
This would be for your starter spinning and not engaging.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,376 Posts
Some time you can put the bike in gear and use the clutch to roll and bump the engine around a bit. this can get the pawls on the sprag clutch to move a bit and allow them to bite. +1 on the hose coming off in the tank - always sudden death.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
If the hose is off the filter or split, you should see fuel swirrling in the tank.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If the starter is cranking but the motor won't fire, my money is on a fuel line inside the fuel tank having split or disconnected itself from the metal tube. I haven't tried this myself but there is a way to remove the fuel pump and lines without removing the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I too would be interested in some feed back from the OP to see if any of the suggestions worked...

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
When I first changed the fuel filter I didn't know there was submersible fuel line. I had just gotten it back together and I got on the site hear and someone asked me if I used submersible line and my heart sank. Lesson learned. It was no easy task finding it. The local parts supplier here found some in Missouri. I was jinxed on that bit of service. One of the plastic blades on the bottom of the fuel pump had broken off during the change and fouled my pump. It was one tough job but I got it done.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.