BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
For the sake of ease, has anyone used the typical auto style suction cup mount for a radar detector on backside of windscreen?
I am currently using a RAM mount to hold my Samsung UMPC onto the Stingray. See attached pictures. I have not had any problems with it letting go (I have a safety cable :D).

I usually just wet the suction cup before putting it on. I'm sure you could do a similar thing as along as you put it in a flatter section of the shield.

 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bighopper said:
I am currently using a RAM mount to hold my Samsung UMPC onto the Stingray. See attached pictures. I have not had any problems with it letting go (I have a safety cable :D).

I usually just wet the suction cup before putting it on. I'm sure you could do a similar thing as along as you put it in a flatter section of the shield.


Phil,

What part of your mount is the suction cup? All I see are the RAM mounts. I have a RAM ball on my handle bar that I would like to keep for camera/cup holder etc... and I use the above the dash BMW mount for my Nav IV, so the seemingly best place is a suction cup mount on the back side of the wind screen. I have mounted a GoPro video camera using their suction cup and it will pull paint off before coming off!

Lawrence
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
Phil,

What part of your mount is the suction cup? All I see are the RAM mounts. I have a RAM ball on my handle bar that I would like to keep for camera/cup holder etc... and I use the above the dash BMW mount for my Nav IV, so the seemingly best place is a suction cup mount on the back side of the wind screen. I have mounted a GoPro video camera using their suction cup and it will pull paint off before coming off!

Lawrence
Lawrence,

Sorry I put the wrong picture...see attached.
You could search http://www.gpscity.com/ for a possible mount of take a look at this http://www.videoperch.com/ I believe that a board member was using this for a video camera mount on his LT.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Lawrence;
I've been using the suction cup mount inside my windshield for the iPaq I use for tunes and navigation..........spray a spot on the windshield with a little water before you mount it, then be sure to let it dry for a while before you take off.........I've had no problems at all......... :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I'm considering the Escort Solo 2 and they show an accessory heavy duty suction cup mount for auto uses.. struck me as the perfect type of mount for moto as well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
I would be paranoid about this. The Garmin suction cup in my car falls off the windshield about every 5-7 weeks. The suction cup for my Bully Dog diesel programmer lasts longer, but still falls off every three months or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
calvarez said:
I would be paranoid about this. The Garmin suction cup in my car falls off the windshield about every 5-7 weeks. The suction cup for my Bully Dog diesel programmer lasts longer, but still falls off every three months or so.

I'm prey cautios too. If I were to do this, I'd attach a safety line (maybe steel cable fishing line lead material) to catch it if it were to fail. I'd hate to see $300+ to go flying off the bike!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I use a suction cup mount for my Verizon HTC Android phone gps feature and music. I have a Smart Tag mounted to the bottom of the inside of the shield with a large piece of velcro. I took a small wire and ran it from the phone mount to the Smart Tag as a safety back up to catch the phone if it falls. I like the level that the mount holds the phone. I don't have to take my eyes off the road to check if a curve is coming up when I am on a strange road.
Ken Denton
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,163 Posts
In some states, such as California, it is illegal to attach anything to the windshield with a suction cup. While LEOs do not really enforce this when they see a GPS or sat radion, they may be temptwed to become zealous when it comes to a radar detector.
I know my suction cups in the car tend to last, I am talking about the small bracket with 2 cups, but the super-duper heavy duty regularly failed me and I am on my 2nd set.
You may want to look into a BMR shelf to mount your PGS, and get an arm fo rthe detector, and maybe another arm for a sat radio or whatever else you want mounted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zippy_gg said:
You may want to look into a BMR shelf to mount your PGS, and get an arm fo rthe detector, and maybe another arm for a sat radio or whatever else you want mounted.
Problem is I usde the BMW above the dash GPS mount for my Nav IV and it leves no room fr a shelf. Wouldn't trade the GPS mount either, cuz it's GREAT and in a great visual spot.
AM also thinking of a RAM handle bar mount, but the 2010 RT has really narrow gaps for the handle bar mounts. I have 1 I am using for a camera/cup holder and I had to grind about 1/4 inch off the width to get it to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
If I wanted to attach something to a motorcycle windscreen without making it permanent, I'd use super-duty magnets. They are readily available, and unless the laws of physics fail, they simply can't fall off ever. Magnets on both sides would be super-strong, and I would think even a great magnet and some heavy steel on the other would be good. This would preclude using stainless or aluminum, of course. But you could glue a magnet to stainless/aluminum, and then use a magnet on the other side of the screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
calvarez said:
If I wanted to attach something to a motorcycle windscreen without making it permanent, I'd use super-duty magnets. They are readily available, and unless the laws of physics fail, they simply can't fall off ever. Magnets on both sides would be super-strong, and I would think even a great magnet and some heavy steel on the other would be good. This would preclude using stainless or aluminum, of course. But you could glue a magnet to stainless/aluminum, and then use a magnet on the other side of the screen.

Nice idea!! I like it.... mostly because of the adherence to the laws of physics! :wave
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top