BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to think the lowering pegs while making the ride a little more comfortable in the knees, they are a real problem if the bike tips over or gets dropped. While doing a slow speed u-turn on the parking deck at CCR in Duluth this past Friday, the front wheel caught in concrete joint and pushed up the joint dumping me off on the left side and breaking the mounting point on the plate. This is makes the third time that the bike going down on the left side has either broken the foot peg or the mounting plate. I never had anything break on any drop on the LT with the standard foot pegs only, but i have to believe that the SM foot peg lowering parts change the stress points and break parts.

When the replacement from eBay gets here, the SM lowering parts will be coming off. I can stand the extra little extra cramp in the legs, but I can't afford to keep replacing parts that just shouldn't break.

This is the second time I've had to ride over 1200 miles with a vice grip for a rider's peg.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,182 Posts
Steve, sorry to hear about your mishaps. The main reason why I didn't like my SM kit was that it scraped way too easily and I was concerned about taking tight turns at speed...
If you feel cramped may I suggest you try the ****-o-pegs?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Gilles,

We missed you and Kathy at CCR. The bike had ****-O-Pegs and Extended JPegs when I got it. I didn't like the position that they put my legs in, so they are off the bike. I move my feet all over the bike, front pegs, rear pegs, JPegs and leg just flipped up over the tip over wings so I can keep my decaying knees from hurting too much.

The SM parts have to come off because I think they put undo stress on all the pieces when the bike goes over and like you said, they just drag to quickly. BUT, if you think you drag quickly with the SM parts on, you need to hang a stardard size vice grip out there. Dragging at 25 MPH on the cloverleaf getting on and off the interstate. :dance:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
yep I had Darius lowered foot boards also snapped off the eyelets on the mounting plate
have gone back to std pegs, my sm lowering kit is in the shed gathering dust
Linton

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Seeing that Vise Grip substitute for a foot peg was a real sight, Steve. I can see your point regarding the concern over lowered parts. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
The photo of the bike with the vice-grip had me wondering what was going on... thanks for explaining!

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I'll take 'em...having knee replacement surgery next month, will need the extra room!

:)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
petevandyke said:
I'll take 'em...having knee replacement surgery next month, will need the extra room!

:)
Dude... so young... and so slow... I beat you to asking... :D

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
petevandyke said:
I'll take 'em...having knee replacement surgery next month, will need the extra room! :)
And Steve, "so I can keep my decaying knees from hurting too much."

I had my right knee replacement three years ago in November and wish I had it done a year earlier. It had deteriorated to the point (work-out injury) of having to use a cane and that was painful as well.

Two weeks after the surgery my Physical Therapist went ballistic when I told her that I had "mounted" the LT to see if I could be comfortable. I needed more flexibility but worked hard with 2-3 sessions each week for about a month or so. I went back to work after six weeks and never looked back.

I don't even think about it now.

My doc preferred the Stryker Triathlon based on my age and activity level but I see that now they have a new & improved model called the Get Around Knee . I certainly do more than get around!

Went zip lining five months after the replacement!

Good luck, God Speed and work hard with your Therapist. It pays off in the long-run.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Thanks, guys.

Partial knee replacement (patello-femoral replacement) so the artificial joint won't be directly weight bearing...and more importantly, will never wear out, so I only have to do this once!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,182 Posts
petevandyke said:
Thanks, guys.

Partial knee replacement (patello-femoral replacement) so the artificial joint won't be directly weight bearing...and more importantly, will never wear out, so I only have to do this once!
Pete, be sure to pay your doctor bill or watch out for the repo man...! :histerica
My dad had both knees replaced and just like Paul he kicked himself for waiting so long; he now has a much improved life. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Pete, be sure to pay your doctor bill or watch out for the repo man...! :histerica
My dad had both knees replaced and just like Paul he kicked himself for waiting so long; he now has a much improved life. :thumb:

Laughing...

It wouldn't take much for him to catch me, that's for sure!

I'm looking forward to the TSA idiots at the airport hassling me when I set off alarm bells in the body scanners...

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
Steve_R said:
I'm beginning to think the lowering pegs while making the ride a little more comfortable in the knees, they are a real problem if the bike tips over or gets dropped. While doing a slow speed u-turn on the parking deck at CCR in Duluth this past Friday, the front wheel caught in concrete joint and pushed up the joint dumping me off on the left side and breaking the mounting point on the plate. This is makes the third time that the bike going down on the left side has either broken the foot peg or the mounting plate. I never had anything break on any drop on the LT with the standard foot pegs only, but i have to believe that the SM foot peg lowering parts change the stress points and break parts.

When the replacement from eBay gets here, the SM lowering parts will be coming off. I can stand the extra little extra cramp in the legs, but I can't afford to keep replacing parts that just shouldn't break.

This is the second time I've had to ride over 1200 miles with a vice grip for a rider's peg.
The solution is to stop dropping the LT! :rotf:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
petevandyke said:
Laughing...

It wouldn't take much for him to catch me, that's for sure!

I'm looking forward to the TSA idiots at the airport hassling me when I set off alarm bells in the body scanners...
With all of the implanted metal, electronics, and wires embedded in my body, I have never set off the sensors. When I show them the ID cards provided by Medtronics, they look at me like I am crazy. Just because I am crazy is no reason to look at me like I am... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
One thought is to get a leg shortening knee surgery, ergo eliminating the need for lowering of foot pegs? Seriously, I've also heard to do the PT, otherwise almost assured less than full recovery. Thanks all for this thread about peg lowering. I recently got my stock '02 LT and rode it home (1,800 miles in 4 days). Sure could have used some leg room. I'm 6' 3" and found the only thing I'd improve (so far) is lower pegs and/or highway pegs. Definite pros & cons to these mods. I've not done anything yet (no 1k+ mile rides planned). I am steering away from JPEGXL, MickOPeg & other highway bars - too contorted position and catch wind. I'm not hot on floor boards. Was leaning (no pin) towards SM peg lowering kit. I don't drive aggressively, but if these increase risks with such bad results, I can just take more breaks.

Long message, not much help to others, aside from my "Thanks!".

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi Steve, glad to hear you made it home with your visegrip mod...:)

Being the eyewitness of your drop in Duluth I would probably not want to put all the blame on the SM parts. I mean your drop was not exactly the typical zero speed drop that most LT riders encounter. You and the bike actually had some speed when it fell on it's RIGHT side. You even hit your head (inside the helmet luckily) on the concrete...
I have dropped mine four times with the SM lowering kits without any effect to the pegs. All of my droppings have been the typical goofings where the bikes weight just goes too far right or left.

So if I were you I would still reconsider removing the SM kit, especially if you have liked them.

Instead, if you want to prepare your bike for the future droppings, equip it with J-Peg XLs with the "Ari's J-Peg stoppers" https://picasaweb.google.com/ari.ignatius/JPEGSTOPPER# and you will no longer even scratch your side plastic bumpers. Yes, the J-Peg elbows get a bit scratchy after some droppings but you can always use some sand paper or file and then matt black paint fixes it again...

Best regards

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
pozo_izquierdo said:
Hi Steve, glad to hear you made it home with your visegrip mod...:)

Being the eyewitness of your drop in Duluth I would probably not want to put all the blame on the SM parts. I mean your drop was not exactly the typical zero speed drop that most LT riders encounter. You and the bike actually had some speed when it fell on it's RIGHT side. You even hit your head (inside the helmet luckily) on the concrete...
I have dropped mine four times with the SM lowering kits without any effect to the pegs. All of my droppings have been the typical goofings where the bikes weight just goes too far right or left.

So if I were you I would still reconsider removing the SM kit, especially if you have liked them.

Instead, if you want to prepare your bike for the future droppings, equip it with J-Peg XLs with the "Ari's J-Peg stoppers" https://picasaweb.google.com/ari.ignatius/JPEGSTOPPER# and you will no longer even scratch your side plastic bumpers. Yes, the J-Peg elbows get a bit scratchy after some droppings but you can always use some sand paper or file and then matt black paint fixes it again...

Best regards
THAT is a darned good mod Ari. :wave

·
Registered
139 Posts
Steve_R said:

If you move the SM blocks to the opposite side, they will move the pegs forward without lowerering them significantly. This reduced my knee angle quite a bit without losing ground clearance. Still room for my size 9 boots on the shifter and brake. Not so much room for a larger size.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.