BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bmw: I am a new member to this site, just discovered it yesterday, wish it had been sooner. I got a used 2004 LT in late October and didn't have much time to check on all the info on it..it is so different from the old BM's that I owned. I have a couple of kind of stupid questions. I remember my old horizontally opposed twin would smoke a bit on start up, and a couple of times this one has done the same thing. Is this common, or do I have a problem somewhere in the engine? I also have read a number of posts of pre-2005 and post 2005 models. I am wondering if the 2004 is significently different than the newer models? I have read some posts that say the 2005 and newer models handle better. Since I don't have anything to compare it to I may never know.

thanks.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Welcome to the forum Eric. The smoke on startup is normal if she has been on the side stand. You can minimize it by holding the bike up after engine shut off to allow the oil to drain for a few seconds before you lean her over. Unlike the twins ALL these cyclinders point DOWN on the side stand.

The handling is only the low speed aspect as they changed the front rake a bit. Most important thing to remember is ALWAYS have your front wheel straight ahead when comming to that final stop. Turn the bars and she will be headed for the dirt.

Otherwise enjoy purusing the site and feel free to ask more questions (but learn to use the search feature, kind of like the "force") great wisdom lies in wait for the skilled searcher.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi and welcome! My 05 smokes a little if cold and on the center stand. This is normal and it should go away after warming up. I do have a 05 and cant compare the handling issue but I was told the 05 still was awkward at slow speeds and so far no problems and handles much better than my R100CLC did. Enjoy and a lot of happy fun filled miles.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The top case adds significant weight (40 pounds or so) high up on the bike and adds to the difficulty. The Ft.Worth rack, replacing the top case, really aids in handling/maneuvering a lot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
cfell said:
Welcome aboard! Psst.. a little secret ..... The Grand Ole Dame likes to pretend to be a "Dirt Dart", too.
Forgive me; but what's a "Dirt Dart"?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I owned 05 model for couple of months I could not really tell the difference except that my behind was hurting and had hard time reading the displays.

skydiver said:
:bmw: I am a new member to this site, just discovered it yesterday, wish it had been sooner. I got a used 2004 LT in late October and didn't have much time to check on all the info on it..it is so different from the old BM's that I owned. I have a couple of kind of stupid questions. I remember my old horizontally opposed twin would smoke a bit on start up, and a couple of times this one has done the same thing. Is this common, or do I have a problem somewhere in the engine? I also have read a number of posts of pre-2005 and post 2005 models. I am wondering if the 2004 is significently different than the newer models? I have read some posts that say the 2005 and newer models handle better. Since I don't have anything to compare it to I may never know.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all the help, now I can only wait and wait until the 7-8 feet of snow on the ground slowly melts. However, it will give me a chance to look more at this site, there is a lot to read here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts