BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a somewhat stupid question - how do I get to the battery if the central locking system won't unlock with a dead battery?

The 1.5 year old Odyssey battery reads 3.2V at the powerlet terminal, where I normally plug in my charger. I put the charger on around 4 am this morning but it hasn't done anything yet.... Nothing in the Halls of Wisdom address this particular issue. Thanks! :(

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Here's a somewhat stupid question - how do I get to the battery if the central locking system won't unlock with a dead battery?

The 1.5 year old Odyssey battery reads 3.2V at the powerlet terminal, where I normally plug in my charger. I put the charger on around 4 am this morning but it hasn't done anything yet.... Nothing in the Halls of Wisdom address this particular issue. Thanks! :(
Dave - Odyssey batteries are notorious for not accepting a modest charge if they are fully (or approaching fully) discharged. You have to hit them with a very high amperage. I'd suggest getting one of those portable jump start gizmos or a charger with a high output (say 10A plus), that should at least get you to the point you can unlock the bike.

You might also check your manual to see if there are any secret handshakes you need to do to wake up the central locking system after a low/removed battery situation. But the first thing is to get the central system close to 12V.

BTW, I like your avatar. TD or TF (I think the former ...)?

Good luck.

JayJay

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
JayJay: The good news is that I have an Antigravity-type of jump starter, the bad news is that it is locked in the side case that I need to get into, to get to the knob to unlatch the seat (to get to the battery....). However, your suggestion to check the manual was excellent! Even though my owner's manual is locked in the top case, I keep an electronic copy on my laptop of all of the LT's manuals and found the answer -

"If the compartments werelocked by the central lockingsystem and, for some reason,the remote control unit is not tohand, you can use the emer-gency unlocking routine toopen them. Emergency unlock-ing is independent of the cur-rent status of the lock barrel. You cannot use the emergencyunlocking routine to open theradio compartment.
1. Insert the ignition key intothe lock you want to open.
2. Turn the key to the 45° posi-tion.
3. You can now press in thelock barrel with the key inorder to open the lock. Notethat the key cannot beremoved from the lock barrel in this position.
4. You must turn the barrel tothe unlocked position or thelocked position in order toremove the key. The lockremains locked.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Reach in with a long thin straight screwdriver from the top and mechanically move the seat latch to open.

Robert

·
Miles of Smiles
1,051 Posts
Not a stupid question Dave.

You've just forgotten.

Use the key and turn the lock 45º

Will open the side case for access to the seat knob.

HTH

Sorry just re-read your post : I see you found that proceedure.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses - they were very helpful! I was able to open the sidecase and get access to the battery, jumped it with the anti-gravity battery, let it run a while and then shut it off and left it on the charger connected directly to the battery, instead of the powerlet socket. It currently (no pun intended...) reads 9.99V, so it has a ways to go yet. :bmw:

Reactions: Patric

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,899 Posts
The only lock you can't do the 45 degree key trick with is the oddiments box.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not a stupid question. I ran into this situation a few months ago. Fortunately I was able to get hold of a guy I know who helps me with the LT. This is a good "trick" to know. Makes you feel like you know a special little something about that special motorcycle. :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, I like your avatar. TD or TF (I think the former ...)?
Hi JayJay: Just noticed that I didn't answer your earlier question. My avatar is a picture of my first car, a '53 MG TD, and "screen name" is it's old license plate number. Wish I still had it! BTW - voltage reading on the LT is now 13.62V.

Dave

Reactions: Patric
1 - 10 of 10 Posts