BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says roll it out the back of the bike. Only problem is that there is not enough clearance between the left sidecase and ABS gear ring to get the rim and tire by the ABS gear ring without scratching the rim. I've put some scratches on the rim trying to get it out. Is there a trick, or am I just stupid? :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've only taken mine off once to replace the disk, no problems, plenty of room. You did remove the license plate holder, didn't you?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zaphod said:
I've only taken mine off once to replace the disk, no problems, plenty of room. You did remove the license plate holder, didn't you?
Yep, just can't seem to roll it out the back without hitting the ABS gear ring. The dealer changed the tire once already, sos I know the sucker will come out of there.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I had mine off this weekend had to lean it over a little .Just kick the bottom over to the lrft a little and it should roll out

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Try angling the tire; rear of the tire slanted to touch the indentation in the exhaust pipe; middle of the rim close to the caliper/ring. It should roll out at that angle. Tire might be close to caliper/ring as it exits the bike.

If that doesn't work. can you post a picture?

Bob

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I did it couple weeks ago to change tires on the weel.
remove the 5 screws
pull the weel towards you (you are on the left side of the bike, sitting on the floor :) )
it will drop down.
if the license plate are removed, you should be able to roll it back with almost no twist on the weel.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I just did it to put new tires on, tilt it a little and turn it (toward your right hand) as you roll it out, it will curve around the rotor and caliper.

I also have the jack under the bike to lift it up a bit so that rear tire just touches, make it easier to put the new one back on. :)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured it out!

2 years ago, about two months after I had just had a new tire put on in Denver, I laid the bike down due to sand in the road. I replaced the heat shield (and other things), but didn't realize that it bent the muffler bracket and pushed the muffler in toward the wheel about 1/2 inch. :eek: I was able to bend the bracket back almost straight (with long screw driver and a lot of effort) which moved the muffler outward about 3/8 of an inch. :D I let the air out of the tire and was able to roll it out with about 1/8 inch clearance between the rim and the ABS gear. :cool: Tomorrow, Mickey (see below) and I going to get a bigger pry bar and see if I can move it out a little bit more. I works now, but you have to be really really careful not the scratch the rim.

Mickey, who owns a collision center and races late model auto dirt track, is going to sand and retouch the rim tomorrow, after I get the new tire installed. :) Sos, I'll be good as new, but will have to be very careful in the future removing the rear tire, especially if someone else does it. Also, putting duct tape on the ABS gear helped protect the rim. :) Those little teeth are really sharp. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts